Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Fatal Mistake
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/21/2012 :  14:42:09  Show Profile
I made a fatal mistake today!

My wife and I are on vacation at Lake Travis in the Texas Hill Country. After nearly killing myself climbing almost straight up a 600' hill in the sweltering Texas sun yesterday so we could go zip-lining we decided to rent an 18' POWERBOAT/stinkpotter today.

Just like someone with an addiction that gets another taste of whatever they were addicted to I've got the "bug" again!

Now my mind is racing and my fingers are wanting to start the hunt for a new engine for my SeaRay or maybe even a new boat. The admiral is onboard but says I have to sell the C25 before I can get another boat.

HELP!!!!!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - on

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2012 :  15:43:16  Show Profile
Is is economically feasible to fix the Sea Ray? If not, why can't you sell the Sea Ray and get another powerboat, if that is the goal? Sell the C-25 (Gasp!)? Every day I regret selling mine, but I needed to do it.
hopefully one day I'll be able to find and buy a '91 model.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2012 :  16:50:17  Show Profile
A marina friend of mine, a retiree who's been sailing for years, is thinking of taking a break from wind powered boats. He put a "for sale" sign on his O'day and when it sells, he's thinking about getting back into powerboating...It happens, right Dave?

Edited by - dlucier on 07/21/2012 16:51:59
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2012 :  17:30:49  Show Profile
I get it. It happens. Happy hunting! Nothing wrong with a powerboat. The key is to be happy.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 07/21/2012 17:31:31
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2012 :  18:43:26  Show Profile
Here in Drought country people are buying motorcycles, there is no water for either kind of boat. I am many things but an organ donor I ain't, I will wait for rain.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2012 :  18:50:50  Show Profile
I'm in for whatever makes YOU happy. That's all that matters.

Personally, I do 2 things: sail and ride motorcycle.....if I'm not out on the lake I'm out with my Brothers.

What I want....yes I'll say it....a PWC. There, I said it. They're a motorcycle for the water and I can tow 2 behind my Jeep. Plus, they're alot of fun.

If fixing your boat, or buying a new one, will do it for ya, then go for it. If you can swing keeping the C25 AND having the powerboat....even better!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2012 :  19:19:20  Show Profile
So if you keep your boat at the lake and you have a couple of jet skis on the trailer you and your buddy or partner can visit any number of places and get out and see the sights.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2012 :  05:19:31  Show Profile
Gotta do what makes you happy. We still use the Catalina a couple of times a week. I have been looking at pontoon boats recently. I have a roadster that gets out a very times a year and am thinking I would use a pontoon boat or houseboat more. WAIT - If I take a nap maybe that feeling will go away.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2012 :  06:55:38  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Every day I regret selling mine <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Me too, and as with your case it had to be done .........

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

putzmeister
Navigator

Members Avatar

100 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2012 :  09:44:25  Show Profile
I know a few that moved from sail to power after relocating to bigger waters, hence, more territory to cover.

Priorities can and do change.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2012 :  11:14:26  Show Profile
Hate to state the obvious but, you could always get a new Admiral.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2012 :  11:45:24  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">[i]...If you can swing keeping the C25 AND having the powerboat....even better!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Joe - That won't happen but I what I'd really like to do is have a powerboat and a Flying Scott so I can day-sail and powerboat.

Howard -- I'd also like to have a houseboat but can't afford one.

David -- Not sure whether it's feasible to fix the SeaRay or not. That's what I've got to look into. New engine, probably new interior, and possibly some floor repairs. It's been sitting in a an enclosed dry stall fot quite some time. I'll probably pull it out next weekend and give it a good going over to try and determine what it needs.

If you could lower your standards a bit I'll have a good '89 model with a trailer for sale soon!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2012 :  12:49:09  Show Profile
'89 was a good year, too. Gotta win the lottery first! LOL

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2012 :  13:01:49  Show Profile
Nothing fatal! Things change--they did for me. There IS life after...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

keeldad
1st Mate

Members Avatar

84 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2012 :  04:33:49  Show Profile
Or you could really be nuts and do both, power and sail. I do. I also own a 22' Mako center console. Twice the cost and twice the aggravation. It does, however, open up more options to get on the water when the wind doesn't blow. the tide isn't right, you're feeling too lazy/tired to pull lines....

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2012 :  11:24:55  Show Profile
And even more crazy-I added the 24 ft tritoon/115 4-stroke a few years back for the party barge that would move fast. Kept the 20 sea ray and use it little and will try to sell this year. Now enjoying Bobbin as much as I can-evening sails are wonderful, and even have 2 jet skiis that have not made it to the water yet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2012 :  18:53:09  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sam001</i>
<br />And even more crazy-I added the 24 ft tritoon/115 4-stroke a few years back for the party barge that would move fast. Kept the 20 sea ray and use it little and will try to sell this year. Now enjoying Bobbin as much as I can-evening sails are wonderful, and even have 2 jet skiis that have not made it to the water yet.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
What year model is your SeaRay? What size engine? Maybe we can work a deal!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2012 :  19:16:03  Show Profile
I am going to suggest keel hailing the lot of Ye for such heinous thoughts. Me thinkith you listen to the voices in your head, but if I dare say, we put a couple days rations of grog in your cup, Ye would come to your senses. Otherwise, if Ye wishes to consume fuel because it is easier, I say let the flogging begin. Avast the spirits of darkness and smelly exhaust.

Sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2012 :  07:14:27  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br />...Avast the spirits of darkness and smelly exhaust. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Well, my exhaust smells about like that from an Acura--same engine. How 'bout yours, Sten?

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/25/2012 07:14:47
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2012 :  11:06:28  Show Profile
Gary you are a ways away! so I guess we will just have to have the "couple day ratioins of grog" and think about it.
Sea Ray 200BR 1992 I/O 196 HP with surge brakes/wesco trailer interior redone 5 years ago, all mechanical A+ new tilt and gimble this year

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2012 :  11:15:03  Show Profile
Link to the searay
http://my.boatus.com/memberPhotos/6315398_2_8371.jpg

Edited by - Sam001 on 07/25/2012 11:15:46
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2012 :  20:22:04  Show Profile
I haven't been to Charleston in a while. Might be a fun trip!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page