Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cabin Sole Inspection Port
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonfew346
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/06/2011 :  19:16:29  Show Profile
Has anyone ever installed an inspection port on the hump (at the bottom of the stairs)so the bilge can be accessed or electric bilge pump can be installed. Was not sure how deep the area is or what I should watch out for when cutting.

Jonathan Chattanooga,TN 1978 C25 SK/SR/Dinette
MC Scow 1341

Edited by - on

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2011 :  21:12:49  Show Profile
It would be easier if you added a signature that includes boat year, tall or standard rig, type of keel, and interior layout. I can access most of that area from under the quarterberth and the bilge board just to port of midline, but I don't know about other models. The swinger doesn't have enough vertical space under the actual cabin sole for a pump, just a pickup for a remote pump and a mini float switch if you are so inclined.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jonfew346
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  06:17:33  Show Profile
Thanks. 1978 Swing Keel. Standard rig. Dinette layout.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  10:49:05  Show Profile
Now go to your profile and add 1978 SK/SR/Dinette where it says "Signature" so you don't have to type it repeatedly, that is also where you can add an image link if you choose.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  11:02:55  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Our Boat (Fin Keel) has the taek ply plates in the sole. Just lift them out to see what is going on in teh bilge. Don't all teh boats have this??

In any case, I have cut ours in half and installed a hinge so that we can easily pull up the plate to be sure everythign is going OK if ever needed. We have an electric bilge pump down there as well as the factory original Whale manual pump. Both work well, but I hate using the electric 'cause I am paranoid about battery drain.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jonfew346
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  12:22:21  Show Profile
Unfortunatly I have no manual pump and the SK does not have an bilge boards(no keel bolts). I just wanted to make sure I had a little clearence before I started cutting away and really got some water in my bilge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  12:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
We added one Centerline a few inches forward of where the Galley ends, about 12-20 inches forward of the steps. Go into your quarterberth with a flashlight. Pull up the board that has the notch for the swing keel cable and take a look, you'll be able to see how much clearance there is. I don't believe you will have enough room for a pump. When we first got our 78 it had been on the hard for a while, had leaky windows and was missing a hatchboard. We installed a bilge pump near the keel cable draining it aft under the quarterberth and another in the settee locker that runs athwartships next to the galley. I forget if that booth seating is Traditional or Dinette?

Come to think of it; That was the first boat I ever owned and traditionally, I liked to call it a dinette. It would require a short order cook, a flat top grill and bottomless cup of coffee to be elevated to diner.

Edited by - Champipple on 02/08/2011 07:03:29
Go to Top of Page

jonfew346
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  13:20:17  Show Profile
I have the area near the keel cable almost free of leaks and the storage under the settee does not get water in it until the area under the hump fills up and comes through a small hole/slit(looks like fiberglass thats was pulled back during the build). I have been pumping out that area with a small hose attached to a shop vac from the keel cable side of things, but it is hard to see if I am getting it all or how often it fills up. I do hate to cut new holes, but this seems like the best place to locate a remote pickup for a bilge pump. Thanks for everyones help. I would be lost without this website.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  13:39:30  Show Profile
I would add an access port. The stringers in the bilge do not have limber holes, so collected water can accumulate in each section. It isn't enough to compromise the stability of the boat, but a dry bilge is better. Start with a Dremel and rout a small hole so you can be sure there is a few inches of depth before aggressively cutting. A large hole will probably require reinforcement, so I wouldn't get crazy. Being able to inspect and get a sponge and a flexible tube in is all you need. I would center it about 6" off the midline near the midpoint of the cabin. I also have a bilge board starboard just aft of lip at the head/sink area. I can take a photo later if it would help. The bilge and construction might be different between the early and later years.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  13:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
In '78 they didn't install teh whakle pump with the handle in teh cockpit! Wow, I thought that was standard in all model years!

I say send it back and get a new one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jonfew346
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  13:58:27  Show Profile
Thanks Dave. I hope you have made it out to to Fort McRee this winter. I think that is every gulf coast sailor's "secret" spot!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  16:19:59  Show Profile
The bilge on my '77 was full of water with no way to get it out. I cut a hole through the tabbing just starboard of the keel cable through hull. I have since epoxied a threaded PVC coupling into the tabbing and screwed a plug into it. If I want to drain the bilge, I just unscrew the plug.
I cut a 1-3/4" hole through there and pushed a small light bulb in there. Nothing in there but clean fiberglass.

I first epoxied some 17oz. biax tape over where I cut the hole. That added strength to make up for what I cut out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2011 :  23:19:09  Show Profile
I got clued in about Ft. McRee by a local about 5 years ago. I haven't gotten much sailing in yet this year. Bashing about in 30 kts and 50ยบ isn't that appealing. I have had 3 consecutive marginal to bad (not relative to Ohio) winters and am seriously thinking of going farther south next year even though we really love this area.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2011 :  07:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Prospector</i>
<br />In '78 they didn't install teh whakle pump with the handle in teh cockpit! Wow, I thought that was standard in all model years!

I say send it back and get a new one.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

We had one? was it an option?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Justincase
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
49 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2011 :  08:32:55  Show Profile
Jon there are sringers that divide up the spaces below the floor, I drilled 1.5" holes to access all of the compartments then just made covers for them. Below is a picture showing the stringer locations (Red)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2011 :  10:02:13  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>We had one? was it an option?</i><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Apparently so. My 78 fin keel came without one but I know Jim Baumgart's 78 fin had one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2011 :  10:50:38  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Below is a picture showing the stringer locations (Red)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I have two more laterals on each side aft of the one you have marked.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jonfew346
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2011 :  06:07:10  Show Profile
Happy D. That looks like the perfect solution. What did you use to cut that hole so flush to the hull? Thanks

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2011 :  12:33:35  Show Profile
A hole saw. I then used a sanding drum in my drill and cut the hole a little at a time until the fitting was snug.
The fin keel boats may have had stringers but the swing keel does not. I looked in mine and could see all the way to the front of the cabin sole.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page