Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Antennas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirk McKay
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
111 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/22/2002 :  12:42:42  Show Profile
I'm looking for some opinions. There was no antenna hooked up to the AM/FM radio in my boat when I got it. For a quick fix, I bought a cheap car antenna and just lay it down in the quarter berth. It's reception leaves something to be desired, but it's better than nothing. I was looking at adding a "real" antenna and came across the signal splitter that let's you just use the VHF antenna. Does anybody know if these work and does it mess up the VHF signal? Any recommendations?

Kirk

Edited by - on

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2002 :  13:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Yes they work...ensure that the proper one is used. A metz 1/4 wave ground plane requires a different splitter than does a 5/8 wave stanchion mounted whip.

I do have one issue with my use that I suspect but not sure can be blamed on the splitter. Radio reception is plagued with noise from the gps/sounder. The splitter and autopilot control head(with wires from the GPS) are not far apart.

As I use the radio mostly for CD's... I haven't sweated it too much but do use the anchor watch at night and have wished they were compatible.

Arlyn C-250 W/B #224

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jheard
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
49 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2002 :  17:45:16  Show Profile
I want to look into that signal splitter. Can you give us more information on it? For instance, a manufacturer name and model?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2002 :  18:00:06  Show Profile
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=20219

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sam Nelson
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
64 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2002 :  11:28:47  Show Profile
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Yes they work...ensure that the proper one is used. A metz 1/4 wave ground plane requires a different splitter than does a 5/8 wave stanchion mounted whip.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Just quickly passing thru and saw the above... Splitters depend on frequency of operation and characteristic impedance. It makes no difference if the VHF antenna is a ground plane, vertical or dipole.... as long as the 150 MHz port is (correctly) connected to the vhf antenna, and the &lt;150 MHz port is (correctly) connected to the AM/FM radio, it will work for you. Any splitter will also contribute some small insertion loss into your system.

Sam Nelson
C25 "Stratos" #3811

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page