Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Hull disposal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Designwiz
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/05/2007 :  14:16:53  Show Profile
I am curious if anyone on this forum has had to dispose of a fiberglass boat? I am buying a sailboat from an insurance company to cannabilize for parts and I have a need to get rid of what's left. Has anyone here had to do this and if so how did they manage it? Thank you for any help.

Wind Dancer

Edited by - on

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  15:23:34  Show Profile
From what I've heard, it involves chain saws... How about Craigslist?

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 02/05/2007 15:26:24
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  15:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
Around here, I think the marinas have their derelicts hauled to the landfill (after a very long, expensive, and tedious legal process).

Once upon a time the wooden ones were burned as firewood to heat the marina owner's house.

I doubt setting fire to a fiberglass hull would be looked upon kindly by the local fire marshal.

-- Leon Sisson

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

existentialsailor
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1180 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  16:25:14  Show Profile

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  16:53:51  Show Profile
Hi Bruce/Wind Dancer,

I publish the EnviroDirectories - www.envirodirectory.com - and we are not aware of options for recycling. Landfilling will run $500 to a grand, once the vessel is there and chopped up...

This company sells cutting equipment, so you might contact them and see if they sold one of these in New England http://www.slashbuster.com/fiberglass_boat.htm

sten

http://www.recycle.net/Glass/fiber/index.html claims to have sources to recycle fiberglass, but it is unclear whether that is based on a manufacturing by product or not... And there does not appear to be any sources in the Northeast.

Setting fire will have serious environmental consequences! fines - jail time....

RI Department of Environmental Management had some program in place a few years ago to assist boatyards with this problem - so you might want to contact their help desk... Don't tell them your boat is in Mass!

Lastly - give it to some crazy person wishing to build a tri...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  16:55:59  Show Profile
It might make an attractive planter

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  17:04:17  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
[url="http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/programsandprojects/draft_ma_artificial_reef_plan_ii_111706.pdf"]Artificial reef?[/url]

It doesn't say it can't be a boat, might be worth the question.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  18:05:14  Show Profile
I would look into using a reciprocal saw to carve it up and then rent a construction demolition dumpster to load it into. Let the refuse department haul it off. I can't remember ever seeing a law against disposal of fiberglass at a landfill and I live in California. We have laws about everything.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dave holtgrave
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
427 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  18:41:01  Show Profile
do like they do in urban areas
park along a major highway, pull the plates, take a baseball bat to it and leave.

not posting name.
i don't want to be shot

this is a little humor!!!!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  19:08:14  Show Profile
Launch it at night, paddle it out to deep water, open a seacock, swim away.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Designwiz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  19:50:26  Show Profile
Priced a dumpster today that was 15 feet by 8 by 5 feet tall. Price was $300 and I had one week to fill it. Each week after that was another $25. The sawzall pictured was the one I had looked at in Home Depot. They wanted $200, I'll search for a more competitive price but it looked real heavy duty and hopefully up to the job. Hope to get enough parts out of this to make it worth my while. As you can guess I have another sailboat besides my Cat 25. Sorry members it is a ComPac 27/2 and not a Catalina 25. Love that brass and teak, it certainly will keep me busy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

atgep
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1009 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  22:22:29  Show Profile
Don't forget, you will make many pounds of dust. If not protected, you could give yourself or anyone around you some serious health problems. I would not even consider it unless you have may acres around your site. There are lots of parts that can be sold. I am pretty sure you could find a buyer for any of the bolt on fiberglass parts. Even pieces of the deck or hull might have value for a rebuilder.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

atgep
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1009 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  22:26:05  Show Profile
I saw my marina crush a boat with a forklift. It was a big one. If you could borrow one, it would do the job in an hour or so.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  23:11:36  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Most appropriately named Harbour Freight has a saws all for $20.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4095

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

new sailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2007 :  23:14:53  Show Profile  Visit new sailor's Homepage
I'm with the artificial reef crowd. No one will ever know.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

existentialsailor
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1180 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2007 :  06:39:17  Show Profile
Amazon has the sawzall for $160.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2007 :  07:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
Ryobi makes a real inexpensive reciprocating saw.

If you sink her, be sure to cut out the serial number, the hull number and the registration stickers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Don B
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2007 :  07:42:18  Show Profile
A local, casual beach type pub has the hull of a sailboat out front decorated with Christmas lights...adds to the character of the place and you can't miss it while driving by...not that I drive by very often

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Designwiz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2007 :  07:46:19  Show Profile
I think the Ryobi would not be up to the job. Have purchased their products before and they are for light consumer use only. The Milwakee, a Bosch or DeWalt would be my top choices. Think I'll go with the Milwakee or better yet pay a neighbor down the street with a backhoe break it up and then have him put it into the dumpster for me. That sounds even better!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2007 :  11:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Designwiz</i>
<br />I think the Ryobi would not be up to the job. Have purchased their products before and they are for light consumer use only. The Milwakee, a Bosch or DeWalt would be my top choices. Think I'll go with the Milwakee or better yet pay a neighbor down the street with a backhoe break it up and then have him put it into the dumpster for me. That sounds even better!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I would tend to agree with you. My reciprocating saw is a ryobi and is the only power tool I have that isn't Bosch or DeWalt. (we have a sales rep for Bosch at our club) It is almost worth trying for 40 bucks though.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2007 :  15:22:38  Show Profile
Let's see, backhoe 30 minutes, Sawsall hours and hours. No brainer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ben - FL
Admiral

Members Avatar

880 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2007 :  16:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Ben - FL's Homepage
Yes, a mini-loader would probably take much less time if you are any kind of an operator. Definitely get a decent respirator type dust mask. Also, whenever I am around fiberglass such as in an attic I put baby powder on. It keeps the glass from getting into your skin and itching. Personally I like the reef scenario if it is a viable option, help the sealife and save on landfill.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2007 :  16:05:02  Show Profile
Just for the record, I like the reef idea best.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Chris Z
Captain

Members Avatar

452 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2007 :  20:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Chris Z's Homepage
Okay, I have had two cases to do just this type of thing. The first was a Force 5 that was droppped out of a pickup truck at 55 MPH. I bought the boat and rigging for $50. Kept the rigging for my new $450 hull and sawsall the rest. Not a big deal for a 150lbs craft. next was a free trailer i got with a trashed 17 ft trihull power boat. Cut it up quite a bit except it was quite a project at the keel. Finally got it to 2ft x 2ft squares at the keel, and even then they were quite a job to lift. My advise is to figure out what to do with it before you bring it home.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1739 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2007 :  20:09:59  Show Profile
all good ideas, but on a more serious note -- in CT we contact auto junk yards. What they would like is to sell for scrap salvage any metal -- lead from keels, SS rails, any metal. If they see that teh boat ahs enough they will ake it for free or a nominal fee. You can also contact insuarance companies and ask them how they dispose of boats, such as from Katrina. Good Luck

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tinob
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1883 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2007 :  14:26:45  Show Profile
Bruce, it might be a good idea to donate it to a local charity. They have ads in the local papers and hand outs at stores. In addition you might benefit doing so as a tax rite off.

Drove by the launching ramp this noon and there was a glass hull left next to the town dumpster. That's another possibility but I'd not cherish the thought of being caught doing so.

Val on the hard DAGNABIT, #3936, Patchogue, N.Y.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page