Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 traveler
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

panhead1948
Captain

Member Avatar

345 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/07/2006 :  13:33:51  Show Profile
I have given some thought before of moving my traveler to in front of the companionway. I have a 84 SR finn keel. I usually sail by myself. If I did this I would run a track from coaming to coaming and thus be able to move it out of the way of the companionway. What are the pros and cons of this set up?

Edited by - on

Brooke Willson
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
983 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2006 :  13:50:24  Show Profile
Look at the C25 tech tips. Click on the bimini, and you'll see my set up for a relocated traveler ( I think what you really mean is a traveler immediately abaft, not in front of, the companionway). You can also search the archives for several discussions of this arrangement.

Brooke

Edited by - Brooke Willson on 06/07/2006 13:52:43
Go to Top of Page

Gary B.
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
969 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2006 :  15:53:42  Show Profile
The boat will not be legal for One Design racing...for you or any later owner.....I'd be tempted to "leave" the track on the transom to retrofit should you want or need to go back to the original setup.

Gary B.
s/v Encore! #685

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Brooke Willson
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
983 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2006 :  20:34:15  Show Profile
Gary, I left the traveler bar on the transom in case any future owner decided to worry about class rules. I don't race, but the chief measurer for PHRF racing on the Rappahannock River looked at my setup as a friend, and said he wouldn't adjust any points for my setup -- his opinion was it was neither advantage nor handicap.

Brooke

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2006 :  21:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brooke Willson</i>
<br />Gary, I left the traveler bar on the transom in case any future owner decided to worry about class rules. I don't race, but the chief measurer for PHRF racing on the Rappahannock River looked at my setup as a friend, and said he wouldn't adjust any points for my setup -- his opinion was it was neither advantage nor handicap.

Brooke
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I whole heartedly agree with you Brooke. The advantage does come with the skipper not having to be the main trimmer. There is no mechanical advantage. The transom attachment is nice in keeping the cockpit open, but if you have a helmsman that likes to stand or one knee the cockpit seat the lines do get in the way of the tiller. Using the pivot block and cleat available at Catalina direct alleviates the need for the skipper to trim.

I am not sure what the impetus was for keeping the traveler on the transom. But since it is in the rules, I'd keep the bar on the back. It doesn't hurt anything. If you or anyone else decides to race in a class rules event(we aren't one design by any means) then it can easily be reattached.

dw

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Gary B.
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
969 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2006 :  10:11:46  Show Profile
Duane, Brooke, et.al,

Like a friend showed me, I left the traveler where it is (even though the traveler set up is still the pits), we added a block and camcleat to the underside of the boom, just aft of the companionway. The mainsheet goes through it, so it can be controlled either by the helmsman OR a main trimmer in the cockpit.

Frankly, my crew is pretty green and I trim the main myself most times, but it is available to crew to trim if needed.....

I think this came from the C22 folks; many of their boats have this option.

Gary B.
s/v Encore!

PS I agree that it would not change boatspeed potential much, and I wonder about changing our rules to allow a traveler to be moved up. I was simply pointing out that the rules currently would make a traveler move NON-legal (Nationals and class events)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page