Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Water Leak at Bulkhead

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
redeye Posted - 11/30/2020 : 08:39:59
Well.. my boat leaks. The water stain on the bulkhead looks like this...

Using this as an excuse to do a refit and given we are in a quarantine, I've spent the last year rebedding everything starting from the top, hoping to find the leak in the process.

I rebuild the mast step. Re bedded the solar vent and mast wiring plug.

re bedded the main Halyard and main forward reefing line cheek blocks.

and rebedded the holding tank pumpout, and vent line, and rebedded and replaced the midstay chainplates, and rebedded the upper shroud chainplates.

This weekend was a soft rain so I decided to remove, sand, oil and rebed the handrails. Sanding in the rain works much better as it keeps the sanded wood from clogging the sandpaper and down and out of your lungs.. Now that's what I call Wet Sanding!

pretty much rebedding everything ( but the chainplates ) with butyl tape

Tightened them up just a little, waiting a few weeks to retighten and trim.

Teak oil on them and they look great but they will weather and turn grey soon.
Time to do the top sliding rails next.

Anyhoo.. Still got a leak so the windows are next ( well after the sliding guides )

This is the port bulkhead. The strbrd bulkhead had a leak also and re bedding the water fill fitting fixed it. anyhoo...

Anybody have a leak that looked like this, and Where was it coming from?

Any advice on resealing the windows?

Thanks!

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
redeye Posted - 12/02/2020 : 10:27:16
<< have the layers separated at all? >>

It does not look like any separation at all, looks like surface only. I've not oiled the wood yet to try to be able to better view the amount on leakage after each rain, when I can get up there.

Trying to do a full refit and see if I can find leakage after each project. The handrails were sealed with silicone so who knows they may have been the original buildout. So I feel pretty lazy for not refitting more on this boat that is 36 years young.

If I get finished with all the sealing I want to do I may put fluorescein dye in a bucket and dump it on different areas and see if I get florescence after wetting down a given area. that should give the deck an interesting look.

The amount and pattern of this stain, and our environment here does indicate ( as Lee suggested ) that this may simply be collected condensation. Either way it is an excuse to get me motivated.

I ordered a new pop top gasket and I'll be rebedding the top sliding panel guides within the next few weeks I expect.

Thanks again for the review and suggestions.

Voyager Posted - 12/01/2020 : 21:54:24
Ray, regarding the bulkhead plywood materials, have the layers separated at all? If so, I’d suggest you fill the voids with thin epoxy or wood hardener and clamp the plywood edges between some wood backed with waxed paper or Saran Wrap.
redeye Posted - 12/01/2020 : 20:37:01
<< but water leaks can be insidious >>

yepper, we have had about three years or more of what seems like rain every third day and humidity levels way up with it. The port side was the north side. I've still got a mainsail cover with green mold on the port side of it. Now Ive moved the boat to ( of all places ) Misty Cove.

I'm about to photograph both sides of the bulkhead and keep watching it for changes.

I'm reminded of Frank Lloyd Wright's Lilly pad building who's greatest defender was SC Johnson's president, saying he loved the architecture yet had to keep moving his trash can up onto his desk to catch the water every time it rained.
Lee Panza Posted - 12/01/2020 : 19:18:52
Looks like a LOT of good work, Ray; good on ya'!

I'm glad to hear that my laborious efforts will benefit someone else; it was quite a job, but successful.

Looking at the water damage in your first photo, though, leads me to doubt that this is from leaking windows (although Catalina 25 windows are notorious for leaking). In that general location leaks are usually from the chainplate deck penetration, and it looks like you've addressed that. The other reason that I've discovered for water stains there is related to humidity rather than rain. I've found a lot of condensation on that fiberglass flange, which runs down onto the wood, especially after I've cooked dinner and slept the night without sufficient flow-through ventilation. It tends to separate from the flange at that corner. If the boat receives more solar heating on one side than the other the effect could be asymmetrical. Chainplate penetration leaks should also appear on the fwd. side of the bulkhead, but water leaks can be insidious and seemingly irrational. I'm speaking from years as a General Contractor.

Anyway, this is just another idea to check.

Voyager Posted - 11/30/2020 : 22:00:23
Anybody try acrylic caulk to reseal their portlights? Maybe OK in the South without a significant freeze-thaw cycle, but has anybody tried it up north?
redeye Posted - 11/30/2020 : 09:42:50
After a search on window sealing it looks like the idea is to remove the window, fill the gap ( after stabilizing the gap ) with thickened epoxy so it will stay put.

Then reseal the windows.

easier said than done.. or in my case so far: A lot more said than done. Anyhoo Thanks Lee Panza and again forgive me for recommending ( Zflex ???) without a thickener...

Subsequently I've learned how to thicken epoxy so it will stay put.

( i reviewed Lee's post on resealing the windows, very helpful.. )

Looks like a job for fair weather so I might haft do a quick fix to stop the leak now and a better fix later. or hit it on the next warm front before the real winter settles in...

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page