Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 How do I replace my cleats?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lewalskim Posted - 11/06/2019 : 09:18:52
I've got a broken cleat that I need to replace. When I do that, I'd also like to ensure there is proper backing and if not, add it.

I don't see a way to get to the underside of any of the four cleats that are mounted.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks,
Mark
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Russ.Johnson Posted - 11/13/2019 : 18:13:47
Mark,

I agree with Bruce.
Here's a few links to Catalina Direct's website.

Catalina Direct
C250 Cleats
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-250/hull-deck/forward/

Here is the Black Nylon Mooring Cleat.
Please check the “Description”, “More Info”, and “Dimension” tabs on this web page.
Mooring Cleat 7-1/8" (Part #: Z1973)
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-400/hull-deck/cockpit/winches-cleats/mooring-cleat-7-18quot/

Here is the Stainless Mooring Cleat (used on my C250).
Please check the “Description”, “More Info”, and “Dimension” tabs on this web page.
Notice the bolt pattern is different from the Nylon cleat
Mooring Cleat 6" Herreshoff (Part #: Z1062)
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/capri-25/hull-deck/forward/mooring-cleat-6quot-herreshoff/

Voyager Posted - 11/13/2019 : 07:54:06
May I suggest that you call Catalina Direct? They can provide you the exact replacements or if you’d prefer metal cleats, they probably have them too.
They’re always great with advice and specific knowledge about the repairs, they probably get a ton of input from customers about their experience.
Catalina only builds them, you might want to talk to the people who fix them...
lewalskim Posted - 11/12/2019 : 19:56:54
I've got plastic cleats. The one that broke is starboard stern. It doesn't appear that the fiberglass is damaged but without removing the rest of the cleat, I can't tell.

I suspected that I may have access by removing the bulkhead but wanted to ask before doing that. I really want to ensure there is a sufficient plate or washers on all my cleats, therefor I'm also interested in the bow cleat access as well.

I sent Catalina Florida an email asking for technical help but have not heard back from them yet. Fortunately, their facility is between my home and my work and I many just find a day to stop there and ask them in person.
Russ.Johnson Posted - 11/09/2019 : 08:55:30
Mark,

Bruce brings up a good question.
I see your hull is 206.
Do you have stainless or plastic cleats?

Here's an image from the sales brochure showing the original black plastic cleats from hull 3.

Voyager Posted - 11/09/2019 : 06:42:30
Mark, Just wondering how did your cleat break? Not to get too into your business, but whatever force was sufficient to beak a cleat might have also crunched your fiberglass. Is there any visible damage to the hull besides the cleat?

Have you tried removing the screws holding the cleat in place? I wonder if the nuts are captive within the layup or are located in an inaccessible void somewhere. You'll know it when you hear them drop off the end of the screw.

If you had a C25 then it’s a no brainer. On a C250, ‘nother story altogether.
Maybe Catalina Direct would have some advice on reinstallation?
Russ.Johnson Posted - 11/09/2019 : 00:44:56
Mark,

Is the broken cleat bow or stern ?
The stern cleat can be reached from behind the bulkhead.
You will need to remove the bulkhead to get access.

The bow cleat I will need to check.
I can't remember if you can access it from the anchor locker.

You could also send me a photo too.
Thanks ,Russ
GaryB Posted - 11/08/2019 : 18:16:33
quote:
Originally posted by lewalskim

I've got a broken cleat that I need to replace. When I do that, I'd also like to ensure there is proper backing and if not, add it.

I don't see a way to get to the underside of any of the four cleats that are mounted.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks,
Mark

Cleat Remover

Sorry... couldn't resist?

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page