Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Furler/Forestay Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Monomachos Posted - 11/04/2019 : 19:40:02
Recently installed a CDI furler that PO had with boat I bought. Def an early model CDI (I think without ball bearings). My buddy and I had the worst time attaching the furler to the bow chainplate/stem. Just one hole there on the stem/anchor roller. Used a strap to ratchet it down to get the pin in. Turnbuckles on both furler and backstay were let out to about 1 cm of thread remaining. Any thoughts? Standing rigging is new. Thought of maybe trying to find a jaw for the t-bolt toggle on forestay that is slightly longer. Just seems too tight, though I did not put a Loos on it.

Thanks, all!
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Monomachos Posted - 11/09/2019 : 15:48:25
Thanks, Scott. I do think the straps from Johnson will work. Unfortunately, I'll not be able to get down there until the 21st (just shy of two weeks from now) . . . And yeah, that had me worried as well. Just can't make it to marina before then. Trip abroad is to defend my doctoral thesis so that has to come first as important as sailing is. Turnbuckles fore and aft are let out a pretty good bit so I hope it won't compromise the rig until I can fix it. Much obliged for your help with this!

JLC
islander Posted - 11/09/2019 : 10:41:31
The CSJohnson fitting looks like it will do the job and it gives you multiple adjustments. I only have one concern. It sounds like your rig is under extreme tension having used straps to get it connected. I wouldn't want to leave it that way for any length of time let alone over the winter. Can you loosen it up untill you get around to fixing it?
Monomachos Posted - 11/08/2019 : 15:21:55
Hey gentlemen,

Thanks so much for the responses. Yet another reason I love this place (and why I just renewed my Association membership). So yeah, that may be the case with the furler taken from another boat. I'll pull a tape on it next time I'm near the boat and check out that 29' 10". Unfortunately, I wont be down for a few weeks as I'm heading abroad here soon. Since I don't won't to drop the mast right now, I will probably add a toggle/extension. I'll move it in the masthead next time mast is down. I'm thinking of using something like this:

http://www.csjohnson.com/marinecatalog/00045.htm

Check out the Jaw/Eye Adapter Link Plates on middle of page. Look workable to y'all or do you have another rec you could link me to?

Thanks so very much, folks.

JLC
islander Posted - 11/08/2019 : 09:20:06
If you really really really want to avoid dropping the mast you could use a toggle on the forstay to add length to it. I would disconnect the forstay then set all of your turnbuckles in the middle including the forstay. Next I would plumb the mast for and aft by adjusting the backstay. Then take the forstay and pull it tight towards the stem fitting and measure the gap between the center of the holes on the stem fitting and the turnbuckle. That should get you close to the size toggle you will need. As far as being on the wrong pin at the masthead I don't think it's that big of a deal to leave it until you drop the mast next time.
Steve Milby Posted - 11/08/2019 : 08:03:56
The parts catalogue says the standard rig forestay should be 29' - 10". I'm not familiar with how a CD furler is rigged, but the overall length of the forestay should be 29' - 10". Scott says the length of the forestay is not changed by the addition of a CD furler. If your forestay doesn't measure 29' - 10", then you should replace it. If the length is correct, then it should be long enough to get the correct mast rake and to connect and disconnect it.
islander Posted - 11/08/2019 : 06:25:08
I think the forstay that was inside the furler is not the correct length for a C25. It could have been off of another 24-26ft boat and the PO was going to use the furler only on the C25 by taking it off the forstay that was in it and installing it on your existing forstay. I think you will have to drop the mast, swap the forstays, attach it to the correct pin on the mast head to correct your problem.
Monomachos Posted - 11/07/2019 : 20:40:39
Hey guys,

Islander, yea, so there was just a bare forestay for hank-on, then this one already inside the CDI extrustion (presumably cut it; I believe they have to be trimmed some to accommodate drum, etc).

Wnccat25, ACTUALLY, I attached it at the spinnaker point . . . I wonder how much difference that it making. Maybe all the difference in the world :( You think? Man, I don't want to lower that mast again.

JLC
islander Posted - 11/07/2019 : 12:45:33
The CDI furler uses your existing forstay and has no effect on the length of the forstay. It just slips over the forstay. If the forstay fit before installing the furler then it should fit again. If it's not fitting then something else is wrong.
Wnccat25 Posted - 11/07/2019 : 11:47:23
The top end of the stay, did you attach it at the back of the crane next to the mast? There is a hole forward and higher that is for a spinnaker attachment.
Monomachos Posted - 11/05/2019 : 16:36:49
Thanks, guys.

Turnbuckles were not adjusted when started and forestay was attached in same chainplate hole (there is only one on mine; incorporated into step/anchor roller). Yes, I'll put Loos on all but forestay as it's covered by extrustion. Thanks for the help!

JB, I did adjust sidestays much. I probably need to check those. They may give me some wiggle room, thought I may not need any.

Best,

JLC
JB Posted - 11/05/2019 : 10:31:00
Did you loosen the lower side stays? When I put the mast up each year and attach the fore stay, all the stays are still loose and back stay is not attached.
Roamer Posted - 11/05/2019 : 07:03:42
Was the turnbuckle adjusted normally before you started? Are you attempting to reattach the forestay in the same chainplate hole? Nothing on the CDI furler should affect the length of the forestay if everything is installed correctly. You won't be able to use a Loos guage on the forestay when you're done. Check the backstay tension and the mast rake. If rake needs correction, you have to raise the furling drum above the forestay turnbuckle, adjust the turnbuckle, and lower it again. Don't forget the cotter pins!

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page