Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Instrumentation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
solvasoncc Posted - 08/05/2019 : 17:29:33

Will this setup let me use a tablet in the sunlight? About to test it in August, in Texas, so we'll find out soon enough! If the answer is no, we'll just have to sail with the dodger up all the time, because it turned out so pretty.

This boat is setup to be wireless. We use the Vexilar SonarPhone epoxied to the hull in the V-berth for wifi depth, which integrates with Navionics for a nice, reliable display, and is an excellent resource for getting in and out anchorages. I will often go to the bow to drop the hook and switch to my phone for instrumentation to confirm what I am seeing in the water.

While that was a good choice, I made a poor decision and bought a sailtimer wind instrument to broadcast the wind data via bluetooth. While it worked when mounted to the railing via a GoPro mount for several months, it failed after only two weeks in a permanent installation on top of the mast. And I mean a complete failure, electronic interface failed, and then the bearings, which thankfully seized because they were dreadfully noisy. It clearly wasn't ready for primetime and I got nowhere with customer service.

Trying the Calypso ultrasonic next. With the wind instruments tied into the Sailracer.net app, I get a nice feel on the boat for windspeed, which really is critical to managing the sail plan on this boat. What do you all run?

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
solvasoncc Posted - 10/01/2019 : 07:19:41

So far so good. Albeit the testing has all been conducted in the late afternoon, but the little instrument panel is successfully preventing the ipad from overheating. I will integrate the new wind instrument the next time I drop the mast and, hopefully, it will cool off enough where we can do some sailing/testing at mid day.
Voyager Posted - 09/03/2019 : 17:12:03
It’s a good thing for sure. Embark seems to make it a no-brainer for me.
kjk Posted - 09/03/2019 : 14:56:23
I use iNavX on my tablet
Voyager Posted - 08/09/2019 : 18:01:27
I use Embark on my iPhone and Android to navigate public transit in towns like NYC, Boston, Wash DC, Atlanta, San Jose and Denver. It’s completely connected with real-time updates so it’s a very accurate way to get around. The parent company makes very smart software.
I just downloaded the C-MAP app to my iPad and if it’s anything like the Embark app, I’m covered on the boat.
Of course I’m still all about belts and suspenders so I keep my 2 handheld GPSs and my charts and dividers.
HappyNow Posted - 08/08/2019 : 09:23:16
This month's Cruising World magazine has a good review of apps for your tablet. One of the apps, C-map (Embark) described on page 80, automatically adjusts the color and contrast to allow full readability in bright daylight.
FrankV Posted - 08/06/2019 : 15:15:38
I have a 250WK with the wheel and binnacle. I bought a cheap Lowrance hook 2 fishfinder/GPS and mounted it on the binnacle with a transducer puck shooting through the hull. Very simple, works well for speed and depth. I adjust my sails using the speed. I can see it in the brightest sun and the color display is easy to read. If it gets stolen no big loss.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page