Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 minding my own business. somehow bought a 2nd C25

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
john.adlam Posted - 07/10/2019 : 12:32:00
I picked up a beautiful 82 SK SR last year and have been having a great time with it. It's very stock but in great shape. A great upgrade from the C22 I had prior. I've been slowly putting together a list of all the items I'd like to upgrade/modify and as you all know, it gets expensive quickly. While it's a great boat there are 2 main issues I have with it that have kept me from wanting to pour money into this project. 1.) the swing keel maintenance 2.) I have pop top envy as my boat doesn't have one.

So... I'm driving along on a lunch break one day about a 6 weeks ago and I see a C25 sitting in front of a storage lot with a "for sale" sign on it. I live in Boise Idaho so sailboats aren't plentiful here at all much less C25s. It looks a pretty dirty and I don't think much of it until I happen to notice it has a wing keel... whoa... had to pull a u turn and look closer. It turns out this boat was abandoned at this facility several years ago and the old guy that owns the place wanted it gone. While going through it I noticed that it was in great shape, just really dirty from sitting for several years. I found an invoice from 1989 for the wing keel conversion done at the factory. also many of the upgrades on my list were already completed. Someone really loved this boat. Plus a pop top (w/tent), a great galvanized trailer, crisp/clean sails, and a whole bunch of other extras.

So after a long 6 weeks of facilitating the lien sale process I am the proud owner of an '81 WK TR.

Problem is I now have 2 C25s. My wife is understanding for now but I'm going to need to sell the '82 soon! I haven't listed it yet but if anyone is in the market, let me know. My 82 is a really clean boat with no issues at all other than it being pretty much bone stock.

Anyhow, sorry for the long rambling post but I'm excited to share a story that only C25 sailors would appreciate.
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 07/18/2019 : 21:24:28
Five hulls hauled to landfill; six remaining... Sounds like the detrius representing my career, except most of my stuff will bio-degrade some day (or be recycled into cardboard)--like I was never here.
Steve Milby Posted - 07/18/2019 : 16:29:39
All right, you guys have convinced me...a man CAN have too many sailboats!
Leon Sisson Posted - 07/18/2019 : 16:11:42
Re: "Steve, I'm up to five. When I start a Sailboats Anonymous group, I'll invite you first! Leon, Todd, and Tom, you'll be invited too!"

Yeah, I admit I probably qualify. I hauled away 5 stripped hulls in a single trip to the landfill this year. I still have 6 boats laying around in various states of "project." Prior to that landfill run, one of my saintly neighbors charitably described my place as having "a rustic old time boat yard ambiance." Having worked during college at a yard I called "the marina that time forgot," I can't deny the resemblance.
dasreboot Posted - 07/16/2019 : 10:18:36
quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Milby

A man can never have too many sailboats!

Steve, I'm up to five. When I start a Sailboats Anonymous group, I'll invite you first!

Leon, Todd, and Tom, you'll be invited too!

I'm a junior member only 3 now!
TCurran Posted - 07/16/2019 : 05:02:26
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

Tom, did they rebuild the Pensacola Base marina that got destroyed by "Ivan"? It was a lovely little marina with very friendly managers.

Derek, when I was last there around 2008 the sailboat Marina was all new, the dry storage area was concrete (or asphalt) with anchored tie downs. So I’m guessing yes. Although the Marina was nice, it didn’t seem to have the same “club” atmosphere as Patrick’s Marina where I am now. I took my first sailing lessons at the Pensacola club back in the late 90’s. Nice sailing area.
sethp001 Posted - 07/15/2019 : 09:05:45
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Milby

Steve, I'm up to five. When I start a Sailboats Anonymous group, I'll invite you first!

Leon, Todd, and Tom, you'll be invited too!
sethp001 Posted - 07/15/2019 : 09:03:06
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

sethp001 Posted - 07/15/2019 : 09:01:43
quote:
Originally posted by redeye

When you go to Heaven you get to take your Boats with you.
If you go to Hell you hafta sail a MacGregor, with a broken engine.

Ray, I can't remember when I've laughed so hard.
Leon Sisson Posted - 07/13/2019 : 11:51:55
Re: "If you go to Hell you hafta sail a MacGregor, with a broken engine. One day someone must start a post on how to sell a boat."

As a former MacGregor owner, I think such a topic would be of more practical use on their forum.
redeye Posted - 07/13/2019 : 11:04:48
When you go to Heaven you get to take your Boats with you.
If you go to Hell you hafta sail a MacGregor, with a broken engine.

One day someone must start a post on how to sell a boat.

Derek Crawford Posted - 07/13/2019 : 08:46:07
Tom, did they rebuild the Pensacola Base marina that got destroyed by "Ivan"? It was a lovely little marina with very friendly managers.
TCurran Posted - 07/13/2019 : 04:51:55
quote:
Originally posted by Leon Sisson

Congratulations on your second Catalina 25!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who seems to acquire additional sailboats without really trying to.

Hahaha..yep, I'm up to three.
C25BC Posted - 07/12/2019 : 08:08:42
Seattles Craigslist has the best selectiono of sailboats in the Pacific Northwest . There is usually around 400 boats this time of year. I bought both my boats in Washington and my C25 was previously in Oregon. It should work out well for you.
john.adlam Posted - 07/11/2019 : 10:43:50
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

A rare find! You have one of the oldest wing keel C-25s, even though the keel isn't as old as the boat. What's the hull#? That conversion cost some serious coin (parts, shipping and labor), and from what I've heard, the conversion kits are all gone.

I was thinking that too! Especially here in Idaho. The hull is #2500. This one is definitely fully optioned out, much more so than my '82. More teak trim, cockpit coaming boxes (which my 82 lacks), marine toilet/holding tank, it even has a dodger/bimini that is in great shape, and more...

When I first saw the boat I was impressed with the quality of the workmanship in the keel conversion. I was wondering who did the job until I found a folder in the boat with an invoice from Catalina Yachts for the conversion. It was done back in September of '88 for a grand total of $1,785.68. I'd imagine it would easily be 2.5-3 times that amount these days if you could even get hold of a wing keel for the conversion.

Really glad I stumbled upon it. In speaking with the owner of the storage yard, he was planning to scrap the boat and convert the trailer to a car carrier. What a tragedy that would have been...

Another cool find for a Catalina fan is a letter from Frank Butler to one of the prior owners back in '84 congratulating them on the used purchase of #2500. Different times for sure.

Spent last night after work completely emptying the boat and going to be giving the interior a full scrub tonight. Should have it on the water in a week or two. Can't wait to get her on the water! Last registration was 2011 so it has been way too long!
SKS Posted - 07/11/2019 : 09:20:35
Yeah, I had the Cat 22 when I bought the Cat 25, and owned both for a little while until I sold the Cat 22.
I'm about to embark on that same journey when I upgrade to the Catalina 30 MK II.
dasreboot Posted - 07/11/2019 : 09:14:37
for a while i had a swing keel and a wing keel. You'll loike the wing keel a whole lot better even given the loss of windward performance.
Leon Sisson Posted - 07/11/2019 : 05:43:37
Congratulations on your second Catalina 25!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who seems to acquire additional sailboats without really trying to.
Stinkpotter Posted - 07/11/2019 : 05:42:14
A rare find! You have one of the oldest wing keel C-25s, even though the keel isn't as old as the boat. What's the hull#? That conversion cost some serious coin (parts, shipping and labor), and from what I've heard, the conversion kits are all gone.
Steve Milby Posted - 07/10/2019 : 19:34:19
john.adlam Posted - 07/10/2019 : 14:38:06
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Wow! Nice find. In Idaho. Perhaps you can offer the boat to Washingtonians?

I think I'll have to definitely consider advertising the boat in Washington and Oregon. I actually bought it in Colorado.

There just isn't much of a sailboat market here in Idaho.
Voyager Posted - 07/10/2019 : 13:36:36
Wow! Nice find. In Idaho. Perhaps you can offer the boat to Washingtonians?
islander Posted - 07/10/2019 : 13:33:25
Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time. Enjoy!

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page