Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Reviews on C250 WB rudders?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
doublereefed Posted - 02/11/2019 : 10:31:48
I'm looking on Catalina Direct, I see these two rudders that I'm interested in. Does anyone have actual experience with either of these? I am leaning toward the kick-up rudder, but it's hard to imaging that the vertical channel doesn't torque and twist (though the listed info says it is rigid).

Any real world experience appreciated. I can't wait for the season to start, with a new rudder. My Mark 1 original has all of the problems noted on the many rudder related forum discussions.

As a long shot, maybe someone has the Mark II rudder that they would sell me, and I can modify that?

Kick-up: https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2842_686/c-250-kick-up-uni-foil-rudder-wpintles--tiller-blue-water.cfm
HDPE: https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/4684_686/c-250-blue-water-rudder-hdpe-water-ballast-w-pintles--shims.cfm

Thanks,

-Richard

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
doublereefed Posted - 02/27/2019 : 10:07:37
Thanks for those photos. My mind is made up, will order that same rudder. Thanks again.
k3fuller Posted - 02/26/2019 : 15:11:12
No problem. David did a much better explanation than I. The admiral won't let me heel to 35 degrees so I don't know about that, she's not a fan of 20+ Had our first sail Sunday.

I did get a couple pictures of it for you.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DpmY9KDRjGXdWpoJIu63ojfVNfdJCL4K
and up close
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-NlZ3iWikPc5pl-0YDVS0JeoS_wN1O5R
doublereefed Posted - 02/25/2019 : 12:39:52
David, K3fuller - thanks for taking the time to reply. I will go with the blue water kick up performance rudder. I tuned the rig last year, eager to have a good rudder to go with it this upcoming season.

dvdfishel Posted - 02/25/2019 : 05:31:21
I have had three rudders

The one that came with the boat was ineffective. The boat rounded up, sometime violently, in every puff over 15 mph. If the boat healed past 22 degrees it would loose its grip. Roundups would sometimes lead to some dangerous situations with inexperienced people at the helm.

I then got the HDPE performance rudder. It worked great unit it snapped in half in heavy winds.

Rudder Craft then sent me the blue water performance rudder that kicks up. This work great and now the boat can heal to about 35 degrees before it looses grip. It then round up slowly and control is easily regained.

I have a water ballast boat with swing keel and I think the rudder that came with the boat (3rd generation) was inadequate. My buddy has a fixed keel 250 and his rudder that came from the factory has no performance issues so I think the water ballast design boats are part of the issue.

Perhaps my original rudder had a crappy foil shape and this was the issue. I ended up throwing it out so I cannot check it.

Hope this helps
k3fuller Posted - 02/12/2019 : 14:53:58
No, not at all. It's very stout. The whole thing is quite heavily built in my opinion.
doublereefed Posted - 02/12/2019 : 13:06:16
k3fuller, thank you for the feedback. So that vertical channel on which the tiller mounts doesn't torque and flex? I too am on a lake, 15-20 is pretty normal in the afternoon but usually for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Other than that 7-12.
k3fuller Posted - 02/12/2019 : 11:12:54
Last year I got the "blue water" kick up one - tiller version. It's heavy duty and performs very well. It's about a foot deeper than my 'short' Gen 3 that came with my '04WB. I don't have round up issues unless a big gust comes through but even then control is great. Works well with the tiller clutch. That said, I sail in a lake so I'm not fighting current or much wave action. I've been out in 15-20 steady but nothing over that.
doublereefed Posted - 02/11/2019 : 13:19:31
I found this topic from last year in the archive. Makes me want to shy away from the HDPE version:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31011&SearchTerms=HDPE,crack

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page