Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 1986 C-25 in Connecticut

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BCG-Woodbury Posted - 03/19/2021 : 20:19:08
Just came across this boat. I would buy it but I think the Admiral would have my hide. Thinking about taking a ride to check it out. Let me know if anyone is interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Catalina-25-Sailboat-Connecticut/353425815304?hash=item5249d1f708:g:oKMAAOSwNK1gVP8E

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigelowp Posted - 03/25/2021 : 18:30:27
Glad to oblige!
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/25/2021 : 11:25:11
There you go! Thanks--I was losing sleep! Friends of mine up in VT were close friends of his there. He told me once that over the winter he spliced lines under contract to the Navy--he probably did it in his sleep in VT. (Zip, snip, slip-slip, done!) Do you remember Bill's big green sled, berthed in NCM? I was trying to remember its name as well.
bigelowp Posted - 03/25/2021 : 08:19:12
Dave: I bet it was Bill Austin -- he ran the Sea Scouts "Ship 6" from the early 80's to 2005
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/24/2021 : 21:39:17
Bruce: Make her shine, and she’ll sail away! I shined up my O’Day Daysailer, put her on, and in two days a couple drove over from Cape Cod; the guy ran his hand over the combing, and without another word told his wife to back the car up to the trailer. (We had just bought Passage.)

Peter: Yup—I departed Norwalk Cove for my new home in Mystic in 2004. I just can’t dredge up Bill’s last name—not uncommon—but we got to be friends. He made standing rigging for big boats, but advised me to buy CD’s set for value, installed and tuned it, and said it was excellent. I call that a sign of a friend—I hope he’s well! Maybe he’s making surfboards on Maui now...
Voyager Posted - 03/24/2021 : 20:46:32
Peter, not too far off the mark! It’s only 20% higher than my guess, but compared to what many of us paid for our boats, a huge bargain. That, in light of a super-hot boat market in CT and the northeast, is indicative of this unique situation. I hope the boat goes to a nice home.

Regarding the local market conditions, the Hartford TV news station ran a report on Monday saying that nearby marinas and boat dealers are reporting brisk sales of boats this spring.

I’m going to try and take advantage of the situation. I have an old 16ft daysailer on a trailer that I’m readying for sale this weekend. Plan to ask $2000 including a 2cycle outboard. We’ll see how things go on that ...
BCG-Woodbury Posted - 03/24/2021 : 19:32:05
Anyone we know got it?
bigelowp Posted - 03/24/2021 : 14:17:46
Bruce: FYI -- final bid was $3,050.00
bigelowp Posted - 03/24/2021 : 11:18:29
Dave: The guys I have worked with have changed over the years. Starting in 2007 it was Ocean Rigging (Ian and Rick) then in 2012 NCM cancelled their lease and had their own rigging for two years and then bought the rigging (not sail making) remains of Hathaway Reiser & Raymond in 2014, with HRR's John Savage now running it. I'm guessing your guy may have retired around 2007 when OR started. having summers on the water and winters skiing is indeed quite the life!
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/23/2021 : 19:24:46
Peter: Is Bill ???, Norwalk Cove’s rigger with the big green ocean racer and the Finn class racer, leader of the Sea Scout troop there, still around? Great guy—looked like Mister Clean—but I think I heard he “retired” to VT where he had also been a ski instructor. I have VT friends who knew him well up there. His life looked pretty amazing!
bigelowp Posted - 03/23/2021 : 04:59:11
Interesting point. I may ask Rob (one of owners) when I see him later this week. He has shared many colorful stories about boats they end up with, and others people keep sending checks in to "store". My favorite is the Island Packet 27 -- on the hard for 20 (yes 20) years, a foot plus water inside, obviously ruined, and yet owner keeps sending checks despite being told for decade plus he has a problem. However, typically Boat Angle states somewhere in the ad if their are storage fees owed. Interesting side issue; I put a bid in on it. I used to have an Ebay account with positives but as I had not used it for a while, they elected it, so I opened a new account. Boat Angel rejected it as I had no "positive" reviews. Hence, it is a closed game only a couple of people are bidding, most are automatic bids from only 5 bidders.
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/22/2021 : 21:26:15
Ownership would seem to be with the charity now, but it would be wise to ask Norwalk Cove Marina about outstanding bills and/or liens. In my experience they're straight shooters, but it's a pretty substantial business--maybe the biggest marina in SW Connecticut.
BCG-Woodbury Posted - 03/22/2021 : 06:27:54
Hey Dave - I've actually seen things hidden in these ads like "Buyer to pay back storage fees". The Marina might own it by now but sometimes owners just donate them to get rid of them. At least it keeps them from being scrapped or parted out.
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/21/2021 : 20:56:29
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc

...but assume there is no trailer.

Yup--a bold statement in the listing. Essentially, it's where-is, as-is, not viewable, not inspectable, not terrible, not wonderful, not movable... Anything else? No doubt the buyer pays Norwalk Cove Marina to load it or launch it--from my experience, they're not a charity. And it appears the mast is up.
dmpilc Posted - 03/21/2021 : 15:27:20
Too bad that boat is not in a marina in Chattanooga. Could be a real bargain, especially if it winds up on a nice freshwater lake! I saw the chainplate leak, been there a while. Didn't notice, but assume there is no trailer. If only i hadn't sold mine years ago!
Voyager Posted - 03/20/2021 : 19:06:41
Frankly, even if the bidding goes crazy in the last few hours, I’d be surprised if it exceeds $2,500.00. While many boats are hot just about now due to COVID, 25 footers are not the first choice, especially if the boat has not been well cared for.
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/20/2021 : 13:08:27
Note that the charity tacks $300 onto the high bid, for paperwork or whatever. The listing doesn't make clear whether the interior can be viewed, but suggests that may not be allowed. (I guess you could ask who's stopping you. Norwalk Cove is a huge boatyard.)

FWIW, the 1986 has the thickly encapsulated lead keel rather than bare cast iron, so the Catalina smile is not as likely. The keel studs and nuts are stainless instead of mild steel. The only downside is when you run into something with the keel, it can create much bigger ding. (I've seen that on another boat--not mine. )
bigelowp Posted - 03/20/2021 : 09:12:04
Interesting, there are two next to each other -- this one and one just behind it. Both "arrived" early fall and look "ridden hard and hung up" wet. This one has what appears to be a decent outboard, no "smile", but from the pics much leaking/seeping around the chainplates so the deck fitings are suspect and the gash which looks like from hitting a dock/piling. At the right price (and with much elbow grease) a way to get on the water with a boat that sails well. On the surface this looks like a boat where the owner lost interest and the boat just sat at dock or mooring for the past couple of years. What I do not know is if/how much water may be in the bilge/cabin. As for "bids" I expect as typical with Ebay that the number will go up during the final six hours of the auction.
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/20/2021 : 08:38:23
That's comical! Junk, trash, and litter stuffed everywhere... (Oh--and sails.) One coiled-up dock line--everything else just flopped, stuffed, and lying around. No remote pretense of ever being "cared for"... Then there's the bid: $19.99? That's a price (to look like less than $20) not what you bid (to seem like more)!

Lucky for you that you can see through the mess and know what you're looking at. Not so great for whoever is trying to get rid of it. What would be your plan??
BCG-Woodbury Posted - 03/20/2021 : 08:37:10
Thanks Peter, that is where I figured it was. Maybe somebody on the forum is interested.
bigelowp Posted - 03/20/2021 : 08:14:40
It's at Norwalk Cove Marina in Norwalk CT -- looks to be in OK shape except a long gash on the starboard side that goes into the glass cloth. Will need to be repaired. The boat has been at NCM for many years. For the right price, could be a nice deal.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page