Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 atomic 4 engine

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kenpa Posted - 11/26/2020 : 13:57:32
anyone have experiences with an old atomic 4 engine. I b looking at an older boat with this engine but unknown when it ran last.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigelowp Posted - 03/19/2021 : 15:23:50
Moyer Marine is the single keeper of the facts; upgrade champs; go to source for EVERYTHING Atomic 4. They are, as stated, simple, easy to maintain, engines.
Steve Milby Posted - 11/26/2020 : 18:31:53
A4s were produced until about 1984, so, depending on its age, it could still have a useful life of 20-25 years. If it dies, you could easily replace it with an outboard motor, depending on the size and type of boat. If the boat is a C27, for example, mounting an outboard would be easy. Whether the particular A4 is a good choice depends on the particulars, but in general, the A4 is a very good old gas engine.
Stinkpotter Posted - 11/26/2020 : 14:53:26
I would look at whether the cooling system is raw water or fresh (with a heat exchanger). If raw, has it been used in salt water during its life? If so, I'd walk. The block is cast iron, old, and corrosion in cooling passages is likely and will be fatal.
Steve Milby Posted - 11/26/2020 : 14:31:05
The A4 engine is a very uncomplicated, reliable gas engine. The last I heard (about 2 years ago), parts were readily available to repair everything except the engine block itself. I know of one that was about 1959 or 60 vintage that the owner told me finally gave out because the water jacket rusted through. My friend and I made countless 30 mile trips with his during a 15 year period, and it was very trouble-free, right up until it finally died. I'd say 58 years is good longevity for a marine engine. Most outboards can't compare.

For a small boat, an outboard engine usually makes more sense. If any inboard engine needs to be removed to repair it, the labor cost is prohibitive. You can remove an outboard engine yourself and carry it to the repair shop. If you get one that's sound and can perform routine maintenance and minor repairs yourself, it would probably be a good choice, as serviceable as a diesel, and the purchase price for a boat with an A4 should be less than a diesel.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page