Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Traveler car mods

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
johnnyd Posted - 02/04/2021 : 19:29:38
I was just wondering who has done a modification to the traveler car system. Planning on buying a new car from Catalina direct. I know its possible to run the line to mid cockpit to make it more accessible. Also if anyone has replaced the bar with a track system and if this is worth it. Please let me know. Thanks!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steve Milby Posted - 02/10/2021 : 10:43:51
Any arrangement that works efficiently for the skipper and crew is good, but there are logical reasons why the mainsheet and traveler are almost universally situated close together.

The basic sailing crew includes a helmsman, a jib trimmer and a mainsail trimmer. The mainsail trimmer controls all adjustments related to the mainsail, including the mainsheet and the traveler. In a strong gust, the first response is to ease the traveler to leeward. If that isn't enough to keep the boat on it's feet, then the mainsail trimmer eases the mainsheet. When the mainsheet needs to be dumped, it must be done instantly. Because those two functions are so closely inter-related, they should be situated close to each other for ease of access. The most sensible way I have found to position the mainsail trimmer on a boat with a transom mounted mainsheet and traveler is to station him behind the helmsman. From there, he has access to the mainsheet and traveler, he won't interfere with the helmsman in the swing of the tiller, and he won't be in the way of the jib trimmer.

One concern that doesn't always receive enough thought is the fact that most sailboat cockpits have barely enough room for crew members to work without interfering with each other. If crew have to move back and forth or fore and aft around the cockpit, they get in each others' way. They trip over each other and prevent others from swinging their arms freely. Good cockpit design locates the hardware where it's convenient to the person who will use it. Good crew organization ensures that they'll stay out of each others' way. Separating the mainsheet from the traveler means either the mainsail trimmer has to move to use the controls, or someone else has to be assigned to one of the tasks.

Like you, it's hard for me to imagine anyone thinking it's a good idea to put a Barney Post in the middle of the cockpit, but apparently CD is willing to sell you one for $340.

I should add that the transom mounted mainsheet and traveler are reasonably functional for a singlehander. If the helmsman moves aft about 1/2 step from his steering position, he can reach the mainsheet and traveler. He can drape the mainsheet over the knee to have it ready to use quickly. Likewise, moving forward about 1/2 step puts him within reach of the jibsheet. If you would mount the mainsheet and traveler on the coach roof, for example, he'd have to stand to reach them.
Leon Sisson Posted - 02/10/2021 : 09:40:37
Re: "When thinking about possible modifications, I always start with the assumption that the designer knew more about yacht design and rigging than I do, and that he considered all the alternatives before deciding on the existing arrangement." — Steve Milby

Although it may seem odd coming from a dedicated tinkerer like myself, I heartily agree with Steve's point.  If I was the sort to post inspirational phrases on my shop walls, "The people who designed these things were not fools" would be right up there with "There is no substitute for cubic inches."

That said, the people who designed these things were working to a different set of priorities, broad target market, and constraints such as budget, available skills, hardware & materials.

Re: "Some people move their mainsheet from the transom to mid-cockpit or even to the coach roof. If you do that, you must also move the traveler..." — Steve Milby

There's an interesting mainsheet tackle variation in which the traveler and fiddle blocks remain aft of the cockpit while the sheet tail runs fwd along the boom and down to a swiveling bullet block and cam cleat forward of the tiller.  I had that on my Sunfish, Lightning, and Holder 14 atop the centerboard trunk (just aft of daggerboard on Sunfish). 

Many Catalina 22 racers install something similar called a Barney Post, which looks to me like a shin-biting tripping hazard and potential ankle twister, but otherwise a very handy location for the mainsheet cleat.

I crewed aboard a Hunter 27 with traveler just aft of the companionway, which was kinda in the way a lot of the time.  No dozing off while leaned back against the cabin bulkhead.  Or worse, someone coming up from the cabin carrying food and drink during an accidental jibe.

Steve Milby Posted - 02/09/2021 : 11:11:00
Keeping the boat conforming with one design rules is only one reason for not modifying the traveler arrangement, and it only really matters to serious racers. My view of the one design rules is that you can't change the location of the traveler, or it's length of travel, but you can replace the rod with a track and car if you wish, as long as the traveler remains functionally the same and in the same location. We can't rely on some rigging parts to be available forever, and the Association must allow alternatives, as long as the function isn't changed.

When thinking about possible modifications, I always start with the assumption that the designer knew more about yacht design and rigging than I do, and that he considered all the alternatives before deciding on the existing arrangement. I never found a traveler modification that I preferred to the existing one. It permits all the range of adjustability that's needed. It feels a little awkward to have to reach behind to adjust it, but the mainsheet is also back there, so you have to reach behind you anyway.

Derek Crawford used a mod that leaves the traveler in the same location, but moves the control line forward to mid-cockpit. He swears by it and I'm sure it works well for him. I tried that arrangement on my Cal 25 and never got accustomed to it. Whether you'd like it is a matter of preference. There's no right or wrong about it.

Some people move their mainsheet from the transom to mid-cockpit or even to the coach roof. If you do that, you must also move the traveler, and both those mods would violate one design rules. But, that might not be important to you, and besides, it's your boat. You bought and paid for it and you can modify it any way you want. Nevertheless, there are pros and cons to consider before you decide on those mods, and you should bear in mind that the designer probably considered each of those alternatives. I found the mainsheet location functional and never saw a compelling reason to change it.

Leon Sisson Posted - 02/09/2021 : 09:27:00
I rebuilt my traveler car using Harken sheaves as both pulleys and rollers.  There are instructions and part numbers in this forum.  For example:

"traveler control solution"

"traveler sheaves"

"loose horse"

I think one reason people haven't replaced the traveler bar or made other major design changes to the mainsheet controls is because doing so would deviate from the class one design rules.  Considering how often these boats are raced under one design, that may not be much of a concern.

I look forward to seeing what other Catalina 25 owners have done to their traveler systems.
Flying Kiwi Posted - 02/08/2021 : 12:44:51
If I could figure out how to add a picture to this I would happily show you mods done to my boat...

Kind Regards

Tim

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page