Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 haylyard strengh

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bmwtourer Posted - 01/04/2021 : 20:08:14
I look over the forum and found post about replacing steel/rope haylyard by all rope which I intend to do.
My first choice would be to buy the CatalinaDirect kit with sheaves, the kit claim 6800# strengh while other haylyard that I am looking at are 3500#. I do not intend to race, do I really need stronger halyards or 3500# polyester ones are plenty to be happy with. Yes either way I will replace the sheaves anyway.
The issue is that I could save close to $150 getting 3500# ones...

are the 6800# a necessity?

Thank you
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dmpilc Posted - 01/06/2021 : 12:08:07
I used 5/16" Sta-SetX when I switched out to all rope and was very happy with that choice. no furler.
Stinkpotter Posted - 01/05/2021 : 21:36:19
The masthead sheaves I see on Catalina Direct's site are for 5/16" rope. I see no need for larger for C-25 halyards. Sheets, maybe. (For those I like 3/8" single-braid.)
Leon Sisson Posted - 01/05/2021 : 20:53:02
For all-rope internal halyards on my C25 I use 3/8" double braid New England Ropes Sta-Set.  10mm Samson XLS3 looks good too.  Samson Trophy Braid would be another option, but I don't see the need to pay more for fuzzy finish on a halyard.

If you pick a strong line, 5/16" might be large enough.  Not sure you'd save much money over less exotic 3/8" double braid.  Mostly just less weight aloft, or to fit thin sheaves, maybe trickier to splice.
Stinkpotter Posted - 01/05/2021 : 08:20:03
To me, the higher priced rope is primarily an advantage for a halyard holding the head of a roller furler for a long period, like an entire season. The lower the stretch (measured as a percentage), the better the halyard will maintain its tension over that period. For ordinary hoisting and dousing of sails, you won't notice the modest stretch of Dacron double-braid like Sta-Set X, which has fully adequate tensile strength. Just be sure the diameter is not too large for the sheaves--I believe Catalina Direct's kits use 5/16" (8 mm) rope.

I bought the conversion kit with Krypton halyards because I had a roller furler. It stayed hard as a board for the entire season, with no adjustment. The mainsail halyard was undoubtedly overkill.
Steve Milby Posted - 01/04/2021 : 20:42:57
It would be helpful if you would identify the 3500# line you're considering, but many people use 3/8" Sta Set for their halyards and sheets on a C25. It's tensile strength is 4400# and is very moderately priced, especially if you buy it on sale. I use 7/16" Sta Set on my C&C 35 and use the boat for cruising and casual racing.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page