Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 25 cockpit size? Capacity?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Solarsail45 Posted - 11/25/2020 : 13:20:47
I'm looking at getting a sailboat for lazy sailing, family fun, and after this #$%#$% covid crap is done, small cocktail gatherings. It needs to have a cabin that my wife can comfortably nap in. She is 6 feet tall.

Looking at drawings and my ruler, it seems the cockpit on the 25 is about 6' 4" long? Is that right?

I figure 6 adults can fit in comfortably at anchor, but would 8 work?

I like the larger cockpit of the 250, but unless I can find a project 250 it is outside my current budget.

Thanks!

-Jeff
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steve Milby Posted - 03/06/2021 : 07:58:16
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Hi Steve, just want to say that the article you provided on electric drives appears to be quite complete and pretty objective. Quality journalism is becoming increasingly rare these days, so when you get an article including so many options evaluated across multiple features and details, it’s very valuable.
Is Designed Conscious mag one of your faves or something you just happened upon?

I just happened upon it while this discussion was going on. It was informative, and I thought it might give solarsail some other ideas to consider.
Voyager Posted - 03/06/2021 : 07:42:46
Hi Steve, just want to say that the article you provided on electric drives appears to be quite complete and pretty objective. Quality journalism is becoming increasingly rare these days, so when you get an article including so many options evaluated across multiple features and details, it’s very valuable.
Is Designed Conscious mag one of your faves or something you just happened upon?
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/05/2021 : 10:21:46
quote:
Originally posted by Sailynn

...It might be wise to check with Catalina Yachts Engineering Dept. ...
Except this is a Pearson, and sadly Pearson Yachts is long gone.
Solarsail45 Posted - 03/05/2021 : 08:00:59
As for why not a powerboat.... I wanted a displacement hull, and I wanted a cabin, and I wanted tiller / rear steering so I could be part of the conversation while cruising along quietly. And used sailboats are way cheaper than used powerboats. I do wish I have been more aware of how expensive 26' trailers were when I started down this path!

As for safety, I will be doing the roll period test and possibly the USCG simplified stability test. I may have to insure it as a homebuilt. I don't think there is any "certification status" to worry about.
Sailynn Posted - 03/05/2021 : 00:56:53
It is your boat and can do anything you want. By changing engineers and builders specification you may be changing the boats certification status. So when the US Coast Guard has to come to rescue you, you may get cited for skippering "a inherently unsafe vessel" as my friend who is a retired US Coast Guard Safety Officer would say. It might be wise to check with Catalina Yachts Engineering Dept. and a Regional US Coast Guard Safety Officer.
Ramona82 Posted - 03/04/2021 : 08:23:03
I'm fairly new to sailing and sailboats, so excuse my naivety, but wouldn't it have been easier and more cost-effective to have bought a powerboat? Or were you specifically looking at building something unique that has the classic sailboat look?
Steve Milby Posted - 03/01/2021 : 19:49:14
I just happened upon this article on electric outboards that you might find useful. Here's the link. https://designedconscious.com/plastics-in-the-ocean/sustainability-news-stories/a-the-beginners-guide-to-electric-outboard-motors/
Solarsail45 Posted - 03/01/2021 : 08:09:20
Absolutely. I expect I will always have at least two independent motors. I figure I will also have at least a small gas outboard on the boat, even if it is stored away. I'll be starting with a gas outboard for money reasons.
Steve Milby Posted - 02/26/2021 : 10:14:01
No real suggestions here. Just food for thought. If the engine fails on a sailboat, you can sail to your destination. If you remove the rig, you only have one remaining means of propulsion. In case your motor or batteries fail, you need an alternative. Two choices are (1) carry a small, lightweight gas outboard in a cockpit locker. (2) get towing insurance if it's available in your boating venue. If you have to call for a tow without insurance, it's really expensive. Twenty years ago, it cost me $850. when I was hard aground.

A friend replaced the inboard gas engine in his antique, wood 30' Cheoy Lee with an inboard electric motor. He loves it and uses it for in and out of the marina and local motoring. When he cruises distances, he uses a 10 hp gas outboard.

There's no law or rule that says you have to go exclusively with either gas or electric power. Like my friend, you can keep both available and use whichever best serves your needs for the trip you are planning.
Solarsail45 Posted - 02/26/2021 : 04:58:45
Yup. I fully expect to need to replace most of the weight. I plan to use the boot stripe to gauge trim and the roll period test to gauge stability.
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/25/2021 : 16:24:46
Some "naval architecture" considerations: The 2,200 lb. keel is about 40% of the total weight of that boat, and the mast and rig are also not insignificant, as you'll find when you remove them. Without these things, (1) the boat will sit much higher in the water, probably bow up even before people are added to the cockpit; and (2) its stability against things like people, waves, and wind will be considerably reduced. This could also affect the ability of a small outboard to turn the boat toward the wind. You'll likely find that you need to add some ballast in the hull for safety as well as comfort.
Solarsail45 Posted - 02/25/2021 : 07:41:55
@dmpilc I can understand that. I will be selling all the sailing parts so that other Pearson 26's can live longer.

@oldengineer1949 The Minn Kota's are *wildly* overpriced for what they are. I'm looking at the Haswing brushless trolling motors which have been used as prime movers and are much larger at a much better price. If that doesn't work I will look at the epropulsion motors which compete against Torqueedo, but are much more reasonably priced.
oldengineer1949 Posted - 02/25/2021 : 07:29:16
Jeff,

be careful choosing a trolling motor for your Pearson project. I went through several motor control failures with a Minn Kota, and ended up adding my own heat sinks to keep it from frying. Minn Kota Tech Support admitted that their trolling motors were not designed to act as a prime mover (75-100% throttle all the time). You may need to upscale a bit and look at Torqeedo-level electric outboard motors (as opposed to just trolling motors).

Regards,
dmpilc Posted - 02/25/2021 : 06:56:00
Sad to see a Pearson 26 OD turned into a power boat! Now a McGregor 26M - no problem watching one of those being converted, starts off half way there.
Solarsail45 Posted - 02/25/2021 : 05:35:59
I admit I've bitten off quite the project.

The smallest electric trolling motor I'm looking at has 130 lbs of thrust. I figure 130 lbs of force at a right angle to the stern has to be enough torque to turn a boat this size with no sails.

I will keep the rudder hole as it is in case I am wrong.
bigelowp Posted - 02/24/2021 : 14:35:16
Hmm . . . .I question if an outboard engine, electric or gas, will replace a true rudder. Or if an outboard rudder such as on the C-25 will work well on a boat that was not designed for it. Should be an interesting adventure for you.
Solarsail45 Posted - 02/24/2021 : 10:23:35
Tiller on outboard motor. Initially gas, but will move to electric as funds allow. The boat has a very good motor well so an outboard tiller is easy to reach with a bit of an extension.
Steve Milby Posted - 02/24/2021 : 10:09:20
How will the boat be steered without a rudder?
Solarsail45 Posted - 02/24/2021 : 08:58:20
I'm actually turning it into a solar powered cruiser, so will be removing mast, rigging, rudder and keel. I'll be replacing the keel with a shallow steel keel. That will keep the tiller out of the cockpit.
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/23/2021 : 10:32:15
That Pearson has a lot of cockpit... For other than sitting at anchor (as you mentioned), the inboard rudder post and tiller will affect the comfortable capacity under way. You'll figure it out.

Enjoy!
Voyager Posted - 02/22/2021 : 16:53:31
Nice! Pearsons are wonderful boats. The cockpit sounds very ample for multiple crew members, however that might come at the expense of a smaller cabin. The photo and stats at sailboatdata give the impression that the additional 1ft LOA may help in ameliorating this, because for all intents and purposes, the boat looks surprisingly similar to a C25.
Good luck to you and your family and friends aboard your new to you boat. Hopefully the dreaded plague will be finished by then.
Solarsail45 Posted - 02/21/2021 : 18:20:02
Following upon this, I ended up with a Pearson 26 One Design with a 8' 11" long cockpit. We will see how it works out!
Voyager Posted - 11/29/2020 : 08:56:33
Surprisingly a Catalina 30, which can be had at very good prices, has a cockpit that’s not much larger than a C25. A friend has a Catalina 309 that sports a much more ample cockpit. You might look around for one of these.
glivs Posted - 11/28/2020 : 21:13:57
Jeff...you got lots of good feedback about cockpit capacity...and note that sitting on a mooring is one thing but actually sailing is something else. You should also consider that on a 25' boat privacy is inversely related to the number of people on board, particularly if the head is required.

As for your query re the cabin....as a reference, I'm 6'1", my daughter is 5'11" and there are some here on the forum that are much taller. Newer boats have more headroom than older models because the sole was redesigned but unless the pop-top is up, you still quickly learn to stoop. The biggest issue is getting into and out of the head. The head has less headroom than the cabin and the cross track on which the original divider between the two areas slides is a head banger. Some have opted to remove the track and use a curtain in place of the divider but again its a decision with regard privacy.

As for napping or overnighting, keep in mind there are different cabin layouts. The traditional layout has settee benches on port and starboard. Either are likely suitable for napping but so narrow as to be not great for overnight accommodation. It is relatively easy to extend the width of the port settee, however, to use a cushion from the starboard settee or a special made cushion and still leave easy access forward to the head. If extended in width, the port settee is long and wide enough to be very comfortable (for one adult). Alternatively, some bridge the two settees to make essentially a queen-size bed at the cost of a bit more difficulty in moving forward to access the head and storing the required kit. This also is the approach for the dinette layout.

Of course, the quarter-berth has plenty of room (for one adult) but access can be a little bit of a challenge, depending on your flexibility. Some use the V-berth for sleeping. My grand-daughters love it, but if you're tall it just would not be fun.

These are great boats but be realistic in your expectations. Hopefully this helps in your search. Good luck.
Steve Milby Posted - 11/26/2020 : 06:45:23
Once, when I was young and foolish, I sailed my C25 in light air with 13 adults aboard. That much weight will submerge the outlet for the bilge pump, but it won't allow water inside the boat. A hose is attached to that outlet which leads to the bilge pump, which is situated well above the boat's waterline. Moreover, bilge pumps have a check valve which prevents water from flowing backwards through the pump.

The real hazard of carrying too much weight on a boat is that it can upset the boat's center of gravity and capsize it. A C25 FK has 1900 lbs ballast to prevent it from capsizing. If you load it with more than 1900 lbs and allow the passengers to gather on one side, they'll change the center of gravity enough to capsize the boat. There have been reported incidents in which severely overloaded ferry boats capsized after the passengers on the top deck all moved to one side of the boat.

Even though I was dumb enough to allow that many people on the boat, I at least had the good sense to distribute them evenly around the decks, so they didn't upset the boat's equilibrium.

Boats really aren't designed to accommodate large numbers of passengers. Too many people in the cockpit prevent the crew from tacking and trimming the sails. They get in each others' way. Even on very big racing boats, the general rule is that the only people who should be in the cockpit are people who are actively working there. Otherwise, people should be sitting on the rail, or somewhere else where their weight will help.

Think more in terms of entertaining large crowds in your home and small groups on your boat.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page