Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast - cleaning and lubricating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Catalississippi Posted - 10/30/2020 : 07:49:05
So my mast is down while I repair lights and other things. I’m changing over to all-line halyards and taking some suggestions previously made here (original post vanished in the great forum data loss of 2020), including lubricating the track.

The old wire halyards have left years of marks of whipping against the mast, leaving lots of horizontal, black streaks, among other things. I’d like to clean those off if not too much trouble (I’m thinking 30-second-cleaner?). Re: lube, I have a few cans of dry spray lube. One is from the auto parts store. The other I think is like bicycle chain lube.

Tips on mast cleaning and track lubrication sought from your collective experience. Thanks, as always for the great tips and wonderful insight.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigelowp Posted - 01/22/2021 : 19:35:36
Er, um, I avoid sandpaper at all costs. Use something like Collinite metal cleaner/polish. If needed some fine rubbing compound on rough spots. The sandpaper may damage the anodized aluminum.
PZell Posted - 01/18/2021 : 11:17:06
Yep. Old mast. Wet sand and wax as above. Been doing so for years. Silicon spray in kerf. That can be done periodically when mast up by running spare sail slug wrapped with soaked rag up n down with halyard and spare line. Always tie off halyards and lines running along mast so they don’t slap. I’m not fan of wrapping halyards around spreaders. Tie them off to sides - looks more shipshape too.
Sailynn Posted - 11/22/2020 : 00:35:38
I use McLube after cleaning track and cars with soap and water.
Sailynn Posted - 11/22/2020 : 00:32:49
Fine wet sand paper followed by 2 coats of marine wax. I tie my halyards off so they don't slap against mast

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page