Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Fuel on port side

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Boomeroo Posted - 11/16/2020 : 01:21:35
Hi, My older SK has the fuel shelf in the port dumpster. I have it in a plastic container with a drain to the cockpit. But still vent and filling fumes escape.
What has been done to olderboats. I plan to put the 3 gallon tank in the aft of the cockpit and build a cover over it strong enough to stand on and insulated .
Any ideas or other solutions.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Boomeroo Posted - 11/18/2020 : 21:01:33
Thanks for that . A shelf is better as will allow better air circulation and easier to fit . Tank in locker is well insulated from sun on 100 deg days so want ventilation and insulation if outside.
OLarryR Posted - 11/18/2020 : 07:02:37
I am not sure if this is doable but rather than build/install an insulated cover, perhaps check out portable plastic coolers that the 3 gallon tank can fit in. You could cut rectangular slots in the cooler to ventilate it similar to the slot in the cockpit cover of later model Catalinas.

Not sure why you need an "insulated" cover. Why not just build a free standing shelf and place in aft part of cockpit and slide the the 3 gallon tank underneath it. Oftentimes, I only store my 3 gallon tank in the starboard cockpit ventilated locker/cover. When I use it, I remove it from the locker and leave it aft adjacent to the transom. It's not an area I would be standing anyway, so I am okay with leaving the tank there when sailing. If I have someone sailing with me, I oftentimes rest the life vests on top of the gas tank - Just lays on top of the tank and does not interfere with the tank vent. I always wear a self inflatable preserver but always have the life vests in the cockpit and if sailing with more people, then those choosing not to wear a vest, I leave the other vests near the companionway.
Voyager Posted - 11/17/2020 : 17:16:25
The regulations say that if you have an enclosed area on a boat where gasoline fumes are produced by a gas tank or engine carburetor then you need a positive ventilation system. Most inboard powerboats have two cowls and a blower controlled by a switch. You have to run the blower for a few minutes to clear the air.

Here’s an example:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--engine-blower-4--P013855028

My boat’s electrical panel backs up inside the dumpster beneath the cockpit. If the proper air-gas mixture collected inside the area and I flipped the switch, I’m certain that the boat would blow sky high. The blower would prevent that inconvenience, and I’d advise anyone with that problem to go ahead and install one.
Derek Crawford Posted - 11/17/2020 : 09:00:57
I had the same setup on TSU. I always took the gas tank off the boat to refill it. When leaving the boat I always tightened down the vent cap, and was never bothered by fumes in the locker.
islander Posted - 11/16/2020 : 12:24:57
Make sure the cover is well vented. Don't want fumes to build up inside.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page