Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Buying a 250

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
NCBrew Posted - 06/14/2020 : 09:34:14
I used to own the Catalina 25 "Black Pearl". I sold that.

I am getting ready to buy a Catalina 250. (not water ballast)

It has a winged keel.

Is there anything I should look out for.

It is a 1998 and appears in gook shape.

What do you think it is worth, it has a 8 HP 2 stroke.

I am trying not to put too much more money in the boat other than AUTO PILOT, and a good fish finder/GPS to integrate the GPS to the auto pilot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick Ponsonby
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TakeFive Posted - 06/15/2020 : 18:46:21
First, congrats!

As a former owner of a 1998 C250 (#348), I can say that how much money you have to spend on immediate refit items depends entirely on how the boat was cared for and stored previously. The long, imposing list provided by another poster is a only a worst case scenario that includes some items that don't even matter for sailing.

The 1998 model year included some nice upgrades from prior boats, including transom seats, foot rests on the gunwales, and ABYC-compliant LP gas installation.

I sold my 1998 C250 exactly 4 years ago with no trailer for $14,000. The first person to look at it bought it 3 days after I put it on Craigslist. If your boat was moderately well cared for, $7500 is an outstanding price. The fact that previous owners saved the pop top cover is a good sign. Hopefully he also saved and safely stored all the sails and interior and exterior cushions.
kjk Posted - 06/15/2020 : 17:46:11
Wing Keel is 3' 5" if memory serves...I bought a 1999 winger a few years ago the the PO had neglected but not badly damaged. I replaced the sails, the rigging (running and standing) wiring, cushions, and my wife and daughter added a mortgage payment's worth of throw pillows for no apparent good reason...the editors of the mag were brave enough to run a column about my ordeal, but it was a lot of fun in the end and I take a lot of pride in its rehabbing. As I used to say to my wife, once you're done with a project, only then will you be an expert in something that you will probably never have to do again. Best of luck.
HappyNow Posted - 06/15/2020 : 08:16:36
There are some forum discussions on Biminis. Put BIMINI in the search engine in the upper right of this page and there’s a couple of good discussions in regards to materials and location because of the location of the mid boom main sheet.
NCBrew Posted - 06/15/2020 : 08:01:11
It has rear Pulpit seats.

No trailer. I will keep it in a slip. Because I cannot get into my canal where the water is about 2 1/2 feet. Winged keel is about 3 1/2 ft (I think)

Boat looks very clean.

It does have the pop-up canvas cover which the owner never put on.

I will need a bimini. Where is the best place to order a bimini. (I want a good one..
it looks like I will sail from the rear pulpit seats.

NADA says $11,900.
NCBrew Posted - 06/15/2020 : 07:53:54
Thanks for all the replies.

He wanted $11,900 but I offered $7,500. He said he could live with that.

NCBrew

HappyNow Posted - 06/15/2020 : 07:51:55
There is a NADA guide for boat prices, same as for cars. Not sure how accurate it is, but gives some ballpark of the price, with various options. I think if the standing rigging is ok, everything else can be worked on over time. I bought my 1998 a five years ago with trailer, and standing rigging is fine but it’s a freshwater boat. Make sure you go over the trailer. I assumed mine was fine, but the next year discovered the brake lines were rusted, and had to have the coupler and brake lines replaced, quite expensive. I’ve replaced a lot of the running rigging over time, more for esthetics than necessity, some LEDs, etc. but I think Catalina holds up very well if the previous owner put some effort into it. If it wasn’t well maintained, keep looking or get a huge discount.
Bobbyb Posted - 06/14/2020 : 18:35:33
Don’t fool your self into thinking a boat doesn’t need a lot of money.....rule # 1
The Catalina 250 is a great boat......depending on what you are doing with it.
What is it worth.....the question is what is it worth to you.
A 1998 boat should get new standing rigging,new sails, new running rigging,up grading electrical,(usb plugs,solar,battery charger,fans,tv etc.) new water lines new water tank,cockpit cushions.............plan on spending some money and you will have an awesome boat with very few problems.
Buzz Maring Posted - 06/14/2020 : 10:50:11
Hi Patrick,

I'm not sure when Catalina quit making them, but they used to make a C250 wing keel that had a tall rig. As I recall, the tall rig was VERY tender ... 'just a thought.

Good luck with your purchase!

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page