Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pop Top Power Lift Kit

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eagleeyepandv Posted - 05/22/2020 : 15:56:52
I’m trying to locate directions for installing CD’s Pop Top Power Lift Kit. The previous owner of our boat left all the hardware, but no directions. Based on pictures I’ve seen, it looks straightforward, but I’d feel better with directions. If anyone has and can share them, I’d appreciate it.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
exf4gib Posted - 06/11/2020 : 09:15:22
Our C-25 pop-tops certainly are a useful feature in warm/hot climates. I've considered upgrading to the gas strut "lift kit". It's instructions recommend the mast be down before installing the gas struts, which I'd need to wait on. Another consideration for raising my pop top is the boom vang, which prevents the pop top from being raised. Using appropriate support, I don't have a problem manually raising our pop top. At the slip, I simply disconnect the vang before raising the pop top. I wouldn't raise the top up underway for safety reasons.
redeye Posted - 05/26/2020 : 05:12:31
Im finally old enough to need this... so saving up now. PLEASE add a safety line to the pop top to hold it up. THE knob that screws down and secures it up can easily work itself loose with wave action and drop.

The line goes from the top of the struts holding the top up on one side, around the front of the mast to snap to a line at the top of the strut on the other side..

Another line holding the radio in the pic has nothing to do with this...

keats Posted - 05/25/2020 : 14:00:53
That sounds like an excellent and workable solution Bruce. I'll bookmark it for the future.
Voyager Posted - 05/25/2020 : 11:52:50
Tim, As I wrote my note earlier, I thought about adding the following comment.

If I did not have gas pistons, I’d probably go ahead and rig something using my halyard, the boom and the mast winch.

Rather than horsing it up 1:1 with the halyard and winch, I’d use the halyard connected to the end of the boom, then rig a strap around the poptop secured to the middle of the boom, providing approximately 2:1 mechanical advantage.

The strap would have to be at least 2” nylon webbing (seat-belt material) or a stout line. You’d have to compensate the placement of the strap forward over the boom to allow for the travel of the poptop forward as it raises up.

You’d still want someone in the cabin to spot the poptop in this case to prevent it moving back down unexpectedly in case of a passing wake.
keats Posted - 05/25/2020 : 09:47:57
It's so dang hot where we are that it's really a necessity to raise it at anchor or in the slip of you want to use the cabin. We're blessed with few insects so it's a nice feature at night when it doesn't cool down.

I lift it mainly with my legs. Back straight, palms flat and up, elbows locked. A little help from someone standing in the companionway to hold it forward against the mast is good while I fasten the hook.

I guess it's mind over matter until I hurt myself, which I probably will.

I do not sail with it up and absolutely never motor for fear that the hook would vibrate loose.

I will say that after getting power tilt on my new outboard I would not want to go back to lifting that, ever!
Voyager Posted - 05/25/2020 : 09:11:02
I’ll attest to the value of the gas struts. The gentleman who sold Passage to me installed them as Dave mentioned. He said it was his bad back that made him sell the boat.

The pistons work well, but it’s still a struggle to raise the top, and to gently let it back down later on. The hook on the mast is an absolute necessity, since the poptop will come crashing down accidentally if not so secured.

I cannot imagine how tough it would be to raise without the struts. I’d probably never use it.
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/25/2020 : 08:51:38
Definitely worth it if you use the pop-top and are over 40!
eagleeyepandv Posted - 05/25/2020 : 07:26:09
Thanks for your replies. I was able to get the directions from someone on FB. Interestingly, CD provides two sets of 10-24 screws (6@ 1.25” and 6@ 1.5”) to allow for various pop top thicknesses. As Murphy’s Law would have it, ours needs 1.75” screws. This has hit the pause button on the install until I make it to the store. Online, I read about a guy who, after having the pop top fall on and break a toe or two, decided to install the kit. This hadn’t occurred to me, but it’s one more good reason to complete this project, besides having already drilled a couple of holes in the top.
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/23/2020 : 19:39:34
I'll just say that the gentleman who bought my Passage (and in a year sold her to "Voyager" Bruce Ross) hurt his apparently already fragile back raising the pop-top. I could understand why. And I always considered the prospect of its falling as dangerous to people and to the boat, even though I had the mast hook, so it never went up except in our slip. (I never had the gas struts, but they were on my list.)
keats Posted - 05/23/2020 : 15:46:38
Well it's not really power lift, lol, maybe power assist. It's some gas struts and fittings to add to what's there.

I never installed the one we bought (a) Because it requires dropping the mast forward a little to install and (b) I don't find it that hard (yet) to raise the top.

I suppose it would make it safer as the top wouldn't crash down as hard if it came down by accident.

Maybe I'll put it in next time we drop the mast.
bigelowp Posted - 05/23/2020 : 15:05:23
OK, dumb me (and not a pop-top owner) I never knew their WAS a Pop Top Power Lift Kit! How many have them?
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/23/2020 : 10:07:30
...or CD could probably email you the document file.
keats Posted - 05/22/2020 : 17:03:24
I have them scanned from a previous request. Could email them to you if you want to PM me.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page