Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Stay healthy!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dmpilc Posted - 03/15/2020 : 17:42:03
In the midst of this latest health worry regarding Covid-19, I hope you all manage to stay healthy, and your loved ones as well. Keep those who are infected in your prayers.
Good luck!
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
OLarryR Posted - 05/01/2020 : 20:22:44
My Marina, just off the Potomac River in the Upper Potomac/Anacostia River area of DC, the office is closed but boat owners can access the docks via the security gates to work, sit on their boat or a few going out boating on the river. There are a few marina workers/staff around but supposedly the office officially closed. Bathrooms open.
bigelowp Posted - 05/01/2020 : 17:34:14
Excellent news . . . .we all are going day by day
keats Posted - 05/01/2020 : 12:23:37
In an unexpected move (for California anyway) county health official is allowing recreational boating for family members beginning today.

Since we need no launch or marina services we should be sailing tomorrow. Weather looks good.
Voyager Posted - 04/18/2020 : 19:37:56
Great news Scott and all the other NY and NJ members. Kinda feels like ”School’s out for summer!!” [a la Alice Cooper]

Meanwhile our marina’s owner offered stern advice to us all on email and made sure we understood 3 rules while on the property:
1. Wear a mask or face covering at all times while on the property. Do it for yourself and others benefit.
2. Strictly observe the 6ft rule and no groups.
3. Shoot the office an email ANY time you’re on your boat. This is to prevent yard crew from inadvertently encountering the virus on surfaces on your boat.

She said that if the rules are flouted, it would only take one damming video of “rich boat owners” for local officials to reverse this order.
islander Posted - 04/18/2020 : 18:33:17
YAHOO!!!

https://news.yahoo.com/n-y-n-j-connecticut-005920839.html
Voyager Posted - 04/17/2020 : 17:37:12
Notably, Governor Cuomo mentioned in his daily CV-19 briefing the discrepancy between NY State’s closure of marinas and Connecticut’s continued operation of recreational marinas. He was illustrating how regional differences can cause confusion for citizens.
Voyager Posted - 04/17/2020 : 07:18:13
Scott, my marina is open and there are about 1/3 of the slips filled, but this is usual for this point in April. I usually arrive around May Day when the marina is half full. But this year not knowing what would happen, I splashed last week in Shelton and sailed downriver 7 miles to Milford.

I sailed solo but was not alone. There were dozens of solo anglers out in their boats going for striped bass, some solo kayakers and fly fishers out on the bank too. I did not see any boats crowded with anglers.

I spent some time in Passage on the dock cleaning and rigging. Was wearing my 3M dust mask I normally use for sanding. A few people passed by and were friendly but from afar.

I’m not sure what may happen come mid-May however. As noted above, it’s nearly impossible to keep social distance at 6 feet on a 4ft-wide dock.
keats Posted - 04/15/2020 : 15:29:27
May want to change your Zoom password if you haven't Seth:

https://blog.dashlane.com/500000-zoom-accounts-for-sale-on-the-dark-web/
islander Posted - 04/15/2020 : 08:00:42
quote:
Connecticut marinas with gas docks are considered essential businesses due to safety concerns.

Consider yourself lucky.
In NY the order states,
Marine vessel repair and marinas
but only to support government or
essential commercial operations
and not for recreational purposes.
Use of boat launches and marinas
for recreational vessels is
not considered essential.

So I guess a marina can sell gas but that's about it.
Majority of launch ramps are in town or county/state parks that are closed.
sethp001 Posted - 04/10/2020 : 18:12:33
If there was ever a time to sail into the wild blue yonder for awhile, this might be it.

I had to start using Zoom to teach the 8th grade homeschool kids I normally teach in person. They've been better behaved. Interestingly, although we are geographically distributed (some 45 minutes away), we all experienced power outages within ten minutes of each other yesterday.

I started cutting my own hair ten years ago to save a buck. I use a mirror to check my progress, but my wife helps me finish the bottom of my hair on my neck.

Our yacht club remains open to outdoor activities. We continue to sail. Perhaps a fresh wind in your face blows the virus away...

Our yacht club installed a porta john to use in lieu of the restrooms. I'm thinking a "Coronavirus Contraction Station" sign would be appropriate. But I might just mount my "No Dumping" sign on it...
glivs Posted - 04/09/2020 : 11:49:32
Published today in Nature Reviews (Subscription required or I would post the link). It still will take months but as of yesterday there are 78 vaccines under formal investigation of which 5 are in clinical trial....a phenomenal accomplishment in such a short time due to not just current technology but interdisciplinary and international cooperation. We just have to stay smart/safe until an approved vaccine comes through.
Voyager Posted - 04/08/2020 : 11:28:59
Couple of notes:
1. Connecticut marinas with gas docks are considered essential businesses due to safety concerns. If people are boating from place to place for business or individualized outings away from crowds, access to fuel really is essential since running out of fuel can be a dangerous thing, even for sailboats. Especially in tidal waters.

2. I don’t know about people in your areas, but I’m beginning to see “social distancing” and wearing of protective devices in public places going right out the window...

I live in Fairfield county, we’re not far from the world wide epicenter of the CV19 pandemic (NYC @57 miles as the crow flies).

Our county has the highest reported infection rate of all 8 CT counties. Nonetheless, people are out and about in large groups at town parks, walking trails, golf courses and ice cream shops like they live in Willowby! It’s unbelievable! They endanger all of their fellow citizens.

Vessel Passage is safely under wraps until the pandemic diminishes. Let’s hope it passes quickly and experimental treatments like antivirals, anti-inflammatory, native immunity and antibody plasma treatments bear fruit.
zeil Posted - 04/04/2020 : 14:10:40
On the news yesterday in British Columbia, Canada boaters/cottage goers were advised not to visit due to limited availability of medical facilities in smaller towns

In the news today it was mentioned that two sailboats, presently underway to Alaska, have been refused docking, refueling and provisioning.

It was said that more remote communities are apprehensive of having the virus spread and are referring to previous epidemics which ended with disastrous consequences besides having very limited medical services.

islander Posted - 04/04/2020 : 13:17:36
For now.
bigelowp Posted - 04/04/2020 : 11:22:42
Interesting: in Connecticut boat yards and marinas are considered "essential" businesses . . .
Steve Milby Posted - 04/04/2020 : 04:17:09
My Maryland marina is closed. You can't practice social distancing when you're walking past others on narrow docks. It's dangerous for someone to clean and maintain the restrooms and showers, to maintain the pumpout, they don't want to work on your boat, and they started thinking about all the "what ifs." What if there's a fire, or a boat starts to sink, or the marina's plumbing breaks, or the marina's electric system fails, or a boater gets sick or is hurt while on his boat? How do they help you and respond without risking themselves? Moreover, the Bay is closed to recreational boating, so all you can do is sit on your boat at the dock. They'll re-open in a month or two, and if they don't, we can do overdue home repairs. This won't last forever.
Stinkpotter Posted - 04/03/2020 : 21:06:14
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

...I can't wait to get launched and enjoy outdoors!!!

Not that you're there, but recreational boating is now banned in Maryland. I guess they don't trust social distancing on board, which is probably logical. (Do you help somebody get on or off? Does everyone stay apart on board? Can they enforce a rule that allows single-handing? Do they allow solo boating but close marinas? Etc.)
bigelowp Posted - 04/03/2020 : 15:10:59
Zoom and FaceTime have proven to be sanity savers as we can connect with our loved ones, social communities and organizations. We all need to be careful and focused so to stay healthy and safe. That said, I can't wait to get launched and enjoy outdoors!!!
islander Posted - 04/02/2020 : 12:43:17
We also use Zoom to face-time with my grand kids and my wife who is in the now closed school system is using WebEx to face time with her class kids.
dmpilc Posted - 04/02/2020 : 09:39:31
Our church is using Zoom for committee meetings, and we were able to join in our former Sunday School class from Nashville last sunday morning using Zoom. works great!
islander Posted - 03/28/2020 : 07:47:57
Just got an Email that the Marina is now closed.

Marina Temporarily Closed

We’re working hard to remain current with respect to all state and federal regulations, as well as their guidance. We’re typically out ahead of them. During this temporary closure, we only have essential staff on property to protect vessels and the environment on which we operate. Please know that all launching and service has been postponed.We are actively assessing the COVID-19 situation and will continue to take all necessary actions in the best interest of the health and safety of our employees and Members. Please continue to check your email for updates and we appreciate your understanding during these times.
Voyager Posted - 03/27/2020 : 23:22:02
Hi David, while it might seem like overkill and paranoia, all our phones and devices can run a video phone app, whether FaceTime, Duo, Zoom.us, Skype or slack.
While it might be clunky at first people get used to it quickly.
May I suggest that instead of face to face across a desk, face to face with a screen between.
All we need is one ...
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/27/2020 : 22:02:02
Good try, Steve... I've experienced the challenge of working with a mirror--you move left, and the image moves right! In college, I made some money cutting Navy ROTC cadets' hair with attachments on my shaver (they needed to stay white-walled below the hat line, but I couldn't do my own.

As a condo association president, I'm promoting isolation and figuring out how some association business will proceed... Meanwhile, without gardening or lawn care to do myself, I have "stuff" from earlier in life to be sorted out and disposed of, having procrastinated for many years. (I thought about attending a Procrastinators' Anonymous meeting this week, but............ ) Then there's my boat, shrink-wrapped on the hard, but the marina situation is problematic.

I applaud all isolation--it's critical to breaking the network of transmission and "flattening the curve" so the healthcare system isn't overwhelmed. If that makes the curve longer rather than higher, so be it--you or I or somebody else might have access to an ICU bed if we need it.
dmpilc Posted - 03/27/2020 : 19:38:56
The good thing is it will grow back! When we were kids, my mom, bless her heart, got the idea to save money giving us haircuts. She borrowed her brother's shears, guess he was cutting my cousin's hair. Being the youngest at that time I was the first pick. before she was done, I had a very short crew cut, not quite military buzz but close. I was also her last pick! And it did grow back out. Just wish it still would. I'm mostly solar-powered now!
Steve Milby Posted - 03/27/2020 : 07:24:10
I've been self-isolating for nearly a month now. Even though I had this year's flu shot and shouldn't have got the flu, nevertheless I got what seemed like the flu about 4 weeks ago. Slight temperature, headaches, joint aches, sweats, sneezing, etc. It never became severe and I'm over it now. I never got tested for Coronavirus because, at it's onset, I don't think there even was an available test for it. I'm still isolating myself because I don't know if it was coronavirus or something else, so it seems the sensible thing to do.

Anyway, I've discovered a minor problem that I never contemplated. My hair became shaggy, and no barbershops are open here, so, last night I got out my electric shears (that I used to trim my dog's fur), a pair of scissors and a hand mirror and set to work. I can report that some of my hair is definitely shorter than it was, so I guess the operation was a qualified success, but if it had been done by a professional barber, I wouldn't have paid him.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page