Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Cabin fever

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Voyager Posted - 01/31/2020 : 06:16:18
For all you frostbite zone sailors we’re entering the dreaded cabin fever season... just about this time every year we start missing the beautiful sunny days and warm nights of the sailing season.
So it’s a good time to start planning your coming year: boat shows, maintenance projects, updates or improvements and new cruising destinations and adventures.
What’s on your equipment list? What needs a fix up? Where are you planning an overnight trip this year?
Now is the time to let your imagination run wild...
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 03/07/2020 : 22:21:55
Stopped down at Passage today to make my springtime to-do list. Just the basics.
Here’s what I came up with:
1. Clean, scrub, wash, preen every square inch of the hull above waterline, plus the cabintop and cockpit.
2. Scrape, sand, pull off the crusty bottom paint and the few little barnacles.
3. Coat the hull above waterline with PoliGlow
4. Reapply bottom paint mostly everywhere below waterline.
5. Check and tighten the rigging.
6. Service the outboard engine. Replace the lanyard safety cutoff switch.
7. Spray and wash the cabin with Concrobium anti-mold, Clorox Cleanup and Fantastic.
A few days’ work but a great investment!

Let’s hope I can get to everything before COVID-19, the real Cabin Fever hits big time!!!
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/22/2020 : 09:58:26
Peter: The Precision 15 mast is almost certainly too tall, and the Stur-Dee might be, too, since it's also a Marconi rig. The Com-Pacs are gaff rigs (shorter masts), and the masts are hinged so they swing up and down in seconds--fully rigged with the sail bent onto the boom. But at the moment it looks like I'll be a $+!nkp*++er for at least one more summer...
bigelowp Posted - 02/21/2020 : 21:04:16
Based on that maybe a Sturdeecat would fit the bill, also possibly a Precision 15 -- both have Masts low enough and they sail well. I know different folks in Norwalk who have both and are out on theirs all the time.
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/18/2020 : 06:56:43
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Dave: ...Would a C-22 or Bullseye work or do you really need a mast/tabernacle to get to/from your condo slip?

The chart has I-95 at 25' above MHW, and we have some overhanging power lines somewhere near that height... I think a small gaff rig (very short mast) is appropriate--do not want to experiment with 155,000 volts or whatever is up there, especially riding in salt water!
Voyager Posted - 02/17/2020 : 20:08:33
Was just looking at Cruisers Forum. Someone asked about a small cruiser so one of the members popped up a list of sailboats between 27-35 ft in that category.
Here’s the CF listing: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/cruise-capable-smaller-boats-230137.html
Or see the list of sailboats: https://atomvoyages.com/planning/good-old-boats-list.html
I was not entirely surprised to learn that there was not one Catalina on the list. Being more like a coastal cruiser was probably why.
Interesting list, but how ever you slice it, though, most of these boats will take a lot of work to restore to seaworthy shape.
bigelowp Posted - 02/14/2020 : 19:13:47
Dave:

Hear ya -- I agree (sometimes the Admiral does, sometimes not so) Would a C-22 or Bullseye work or do you really need a mast/tabernacle to get to/from your condo slip?
redeye Posted - 02/14/2020 : 06:23:20
<<Besides, why would I want a J-24?? >>

Just some boat that came to mind..

Wow... the sandpiper looks interesting.
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/10/2020 : 14:06:33
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Dave:...Was thinking maybe I should just rent sailboats and not own as it is great to just get on and when done get off without worrying about maintenance, costs, etc.

But Peter, I have a slip outside my condo, where I often just sit in the boat with a magazine and a beer and watch the shore birds and the sunset across the wide estuary. As long as I'm in this place, I will have some kind of boat, whether it makes "economic" sense or not.

Ray: I kinda like the water bag on the halyard method for tipping the boat sideways to clear a bridge. Either might solve clearing the wires and the bridge, but not always clearing the bottom! Around the dock it occasionally gets down to 30" at low tide, and well under that a few times a year. Besides, why would I want a J-24??
redeye Posted - 02/10/2020 : 07:55:09
Larry... That looks like FUN!
redeye Posted - 02/10/2020 : 07:48:31
Dave... put an electric winch on the forestay of a j24 and lean it back under the bridge...

OLarryR Posted - 02/10/2020 : 07:33:36
Photos and some details of the CLC Skerry Daysailer I am building/completing are now on my website. Access by clicking on Skerry on the top right of opening page to my website.

Below are a few photos:

bigelowp Posted - 02/07/2020 : 09:27:36
Dave: another option . . . . . Just got back from a long business trip to San Diego where I rented a Cat 22 for an afternoon of sailing up and back, and again, between the down town Marina area and airport. Was thinking maybe I should just rent sailboats and not own as it is great to just get on and when done get off without worrying about maintenance, costs, etc.
islander Posted - 02/06/2020 : 11:30:42
Ray I lifted that pop top 12 yrs ago when I bought my boat. I learned how heavy it was then and I've never opened it up since then. As you I'm not getting younger.
zeil Posted - 02/06/2020 : 10:05:45

Wow what a beautiful sight...

Keep going though... it's worth it!!

redeye Posted - 02/06/2020 : 09:27:00

It was a day dream from some fiction novella on Monday... Out sailing in the sun. Could not believe it was that warm for the first week of Feb.

And I am getting Advanced in years so lifting the pop top was very difficult, embarrassed to say there was no strength in my arms. Time for the gas struts project.

Sore all over today...
keats Posted - 02/04/2020 : 18:25:12
Had a good over-nighter Sat/Sun. Light winds and t-shirt weather on Saturday. Very different on Sunday. Down to low 40's overnight and forecast for 18-24 kt winds by mid-day and some rain. So we got off the anchor early to make the marina before it hit the fan. Reefed as a precaution even though winds were light when we set out. Felt silly reefed in 3-5 kts at the time but as we made way it began to build. And build it did.

I was amazed how easy is was to handle the boat in whitecaps and strong gusts with a reef in and a 110% jib. Earlier in my sailing career I would have doused everything and ran for shelter. I'm sure it was not bad compared to what some of you sail in but the boat handled well and kept upright. First mate read a magazine in the cabin while I single handed.

As it was my first time reefing, I did discover the issue that has been covered here with the first few slugs in the main hanging up on the stop in the slot. I couldn't pull the reef tack all the way down to the mast. Next time I will put the stop and let the slugs come out.

So a guess a sail track gate is in my future. More $$$!

Also, the reefing cleat on the mast is oddly above the boom so I assume that will have to be moved down.

This is Saturday, btw: https://youtu.be/-mCwMjY1JHQ
OLarryR Posted - 02/04/2020 : 08:16:49
Yeah - I need to load all photos (or at least select ones) that best depict the progress. During this project, I have acquired misc tools - Over 40 - 2” Spring clamps, over 30 - adjustable screw type bar clamps, a palm compact router......and then a regular size router which I should have bought first, a Shinto Rasp, Small high quality block plane..and etc. Oh...and Stop Loss Bags...you can check them out on Amazon. I got it with the accessories - flexible funnel and for when a reqular funnel is used, the tubing to fit the bags. Great for storing varnish, paint, etc.
glivs Posted - 02/04/2020 : 07:18:03
Larry,
Hope you're documenting your CLC Skerry efforts and will share the progress and final results at some point.
OLarryR Posted - 02/03/2020 : 16:56:47
Dave - OkY, how about this for consideration:

A Compac Suncat 17 primarily for daysailing.
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/03/2020 : 07:40:42
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

Maybe consider a Marshall Cat - 15’ or 18’.
I certainly am considering the Marshall Sandpiper--a pretty little boat. Not sure I want all the brightwork...
OLarryR Posted - 02/02/2020 : 18:09:11
Maybe consider a Marshall Cat - 15’ or 18’.
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/01/2020 : 23:00:56
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Not sure if it’ll fit on your dock Dave but maybe you should consider a small Cat?
I am, but a gaff-rigged catboat, not a catamaran. (1) My slip is 12' wide, which won't even accommodate a Hobie 14 (but is ample for my Eastern 27). (2) At 75, I'm not into sitting and crawling around on trampolines--been there and done that in another era. (3) Going fast and beaching boats are not among my objectives. Around here, it's dock-to-dock sailing/boating, very occasionally anchoring for lunch, cocktails, sunsets, or whatever.

There are some other considerations in the mix... But it makes an interesting Jan/Feb/March subject to noodle on! The mag article says it: Life changes, we change, and boats can change with us--up, down and sideways!
OLarryR Posted - 02/01/2020 : 20:14:23
Tomorrow it will be around 51F and believe it will be warmer the following day, Monday. So, I anticipate sailing on both days. As far as projects go, I finished all exterior wood with teak oil and all is protected with Sunbrella covers. But since September, when not sailing, I have been building a CLC Skerry 15’ sailboat. I took the class, end of September, and that completed the basic hull but about 50% work remains to be done. The sailboat will be completed this month - Working on the boom and yard 3rd epoxy coat to then be followed by about 4 coats of schooner varnish. The rudder needs to be fastened to the stern and then a few fittings and lacing the sail to the boom and yard.....and that is about it. Oh....I am also going to redo the finish on the top wood rail since it could be smoother. I’lll wait for the Spring before it’s first launched!
keats Posted - 02/01/2020 : 07:34:11
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

Hilarious...........

I just opened my copy of BoatUS mag, and wondered if that was you on page 4......

And as I flipped to page 57, found out, yep it's you........

Yup--fortunately pretty much incognito (except for Sarge, which is one-of-a-kind).

Also a nice shot on Page 4, wow!
Voyager Posted - 02/01/2020 : 07:00:55
And to think it was announced first right here on this thread for winter projects and summer dreams!
Speaking of Cats with a gaff-rigged sail a friend in Madison CT owns a Wharram 21 catamaran that he loves. A Tiki boat...
When he’s sailing she’ll do 10 kts easily in any good breeze and when he wants to relax it becomes a very stable pontoon boat.
It needs inches (not feet) of draft and he can beach it.
Not sure if it’ll fit on your dock Dave but maybe you should consider a small Cat?

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page