Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 OT: new table saw

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Voyager Posted - 12/07/2019 : 12:35:47
For all those who tempt fate using a table-saw to fabricate new components for their boats (cabinets, seating, shelves, etc), I’d appreciate your view on a replacement table-saw.

I had a Craftsman from Sears 10” 12A table-saw with steel legs that I’ve had for two-dozen years. It has a tilt adjustment, a rip fence, an adjustable angle slider and an emergency kill switch. It might’ve cost about $350 back in the 90s.

We had a fire in my garage this summer and it took out most of my tools (this included) and other items. Luckily nobody was hurt and insurance covered most of it.

I’ve been looking for a new table-saw that’s on par with the quality of the original and was disappointed with the current brand-name replacement. I’m seeing DeWalt, Metabo (Hitachi) and Bosch with many of the same features and qualities of my original.

Anyone who’s been in the market for a table-saw lately have any experience or recommendations?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
glivs Posted - 12/21/2019 : 17:13:09
Whoa....what a nightmare. Yes glad to hear everyone is accounted for. Must have been incredibly intense real time but even now. Life has a way of throwing us curves. Hope this turns into an opportunity when the reconstruction begins. Thanks for letting us know what happened.

Wish you, your family and everyone here on the forum a Happy Christmas and a great New Year.
Voyager Posted - 12/21/2019 : 09:54:48
We lost a lot of stuff but our people and pets are all intact.
Our insurer was pretty good, considering everything.
We can replace the stuff.
It was a disaster (for us) but luckily not a tragedy.
keats Posted - 12/20/2019 : 21:53:16
Good God Bruce, that sounds like an unbelievably tragic event. All I can say is I'm glad you are all alright.
Voyager Posted - 12/20/2019 : 19:42:54
Yes Gerry, a very serious fire broke out in my garage. Everyone got out of the house alright, even the cat. This was one of the most disruptive event I’ve ever experienced.

Here’s the story:
It was 4:00AM on the Fourth of July. The wired smoke alarms were blaring when my adult daughter flew into our bedroom yelling, “the house is on fire, everybody get out!
My wife Cathy and I jumped out of bed and ran down the stairs. I could smell the smoke and looked for the fire and felt it coming from behind the garage door.

Cathy looked for her 96 year old mom who was bed ridden staying in our first floor spare room but she wasn’t there. My daughter grabbed her and dragged her across to the front door and outside.

I grabbed the cat and Cathy called 911 from our wireline phone. She told the operator the house was on fire. He told her he had our address and was sending the firefighters now, so get out of the house. We all got out.

It was still dark and from the street we could see the flames now coming through the garage roof hitting the electrical wires. They shorted out casting the entire house into darkness. As I stood there watching it seemed like an eternity, but all I could was watch and wait. I felt powerless but assured that all my people were fine.

The first fire truck arrive 4 minutes after we called. The hydrant was across the street and the firefighting crew who had rehearsed time and again for just this situation sprung into action, some prepping the hoses, others prepped the ladders, others donned protective suits and broke out their equipment.

They poured 1000s of gallons of water on the garage and the side of the house adjacent to the garage. They climbed the ladder into our second floor bedroom adjacent to the fire.

Then the second fire company arrived to reinforce the first, then the third, then the fourth - the entire town was there on a day the nearly everybody takes off - they were there at our house saving us. I don’t regret one penny of taxes I pay because what they did for us was priceless.

Then the EMS showed up with 2 ambulances and two first aid crews. They checked mom for her vital signs and smoke inhalation. They brought her to the ER in an abundance of caution.

When it was all over, the garage was destroyed including my wife’s cherished 2001 Saab 9-3. Luckily my car was not inside so we averted a double loss.

The 5/8” gypsum wallboard fire-wall protected the house. There were only a few spots where the fire broke through to singe the exterior of the house.

But the fire door broke down between the garage and house and a 1500° backdraft immediately flew into the house and burned the ceiling paint right off the wallboard, melted the tops of the drapes and scorched the cabinets. Melted the blades of my ceiling fan too. This heat ran for 80 ft from one end of the house to the other.

The house was not burned but was a disaster of water damage, soot and coated with a poisonous and caustic mixture of cyanide, acids and heavy metals from the burning plastics and finishes. Our home was uninhabitable.

Suddenly the vultures, I mean the insurance adjusters, appeared. The town inspector and safety officers appeared next, with breakfast sandwiches and coffees. They helped us secure the house from looters and provided us moral support. They all came out in force that day.

While we never determined the root cause of the fire, it was determined that it was smoldering for hours, not related to fireworks, could’ve been due to 95°+ temperatures the previous day and not due to an accelerant.

I had two kayaks, a 16ft canoe and a fiberglass dinghy hanging from the garage ceiling, a few sets of dinghy sails and other camping and recreational equipment in the garage. Car stuff and tools too.

I’ll end the story here...
glivs Posted - 12/20/2019 : 17:49:03
OK Bruce....

When you so quietly noted a fire in your garage many weeks ago, I was curious as to how much damage, how did it start, ... but it was none of my business so I let it go. Now the incident appears to be back on the table, so ... (if you choose) what's the story? And btw, your new DeWalt sounds like a winner, good score.
Voyager Posted - 12/20/2019 : 00:02:50
Wow, I appreciate the advice. I checked our local neighborhood group and a few on CL that sounded good but were bupkiss.

I finally found a great sale on a new DeWalt portable that I can build a wooden table around using 2x4s and 2x6s, and a sheet of plywood. The guide extends out to 24” in 1/4” increments and there’s a hose attachment for my (new) shop vac. The Metabo (Hitachi) was my second choice.

I found my old Craftsman to be a very versatile tool for fabricating precise parts, creating rabbets and getting exact 45° cuts for frames. I don’t think I’ll ever find an equal but the new unit will do the job.

I’m not back in my house yet but when I am I’ll have dozens of projects to do :: cabinet trim, closet shelving, the works. I’ll let you know how it goes.

bigelowp Posted - 12/13/2019 : 20:37:53
Bruce: Sorry that you had a fire -- Yikes, a nightmare I bet. Take your time, regrettably the old Craftsmen is not what is available today. Go to house sales and look on Craigslist, but look fat alternatives as somewhere quality is made and someone builds a similar table saw. Let us know what you end up with!
redeye Posted - 12/10/2019 : 05:35:01
I had the same table saw, inherited from my father. Loved it and the motor died and I gave it to another younger guy down the street. I wanted something new with the current bells and whistles, ( brakes, lasers, etc etc ) and found nothing at the stores that interested me as of yet. They all seem to be either Huge or Portable. Haven't looked in earnest yet, mulling options over forever first.

I was rather surprised at how many just like mine were on Craigslist, so that is still an option.
glivs Posted - 12/08/2019 : 19:29:48
Ditto Leon's suggestion....I picked up a moderate Jet table saw about 23 yrs ago. I'm no cabinet maker but it has served me well in a wide range of projects and have little doubt it will outlast me.
Leon Sisson Posted - 12/08/2019 : 06:50:49
Don't overlook Craig's List.  I found a table saw like your old one for under $100 in perfect condition.
keats Posted - 12/07/2019 : 12:57:07
You might have a look at Grizzly Industrial Bruce. We've bought a couple of things and they are pretty well put together.

Now is definitely the time of year to buy.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page