Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Attaching the National Colors to the backstay

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kwalsh Posted - 09/15/2019 : 20:12:40
All,
We’ve been trying one example after the next to attach the national ensign to the backstay, but without success.
The large size spring clips do not fit neatly around the stay, keeping it securely in place. We lost a flag last season and haven’t found and alternative solution yet. In the interim, we are fixing it to the stern, but our stern railing is quite busy with other equipment which is why we are pursuing attaching it to the backstay. Are there any ideas?
If we are successful finding appropriate attachments, how then do we make the attachments the the proper 2/3rds the length of the leech above the clew? That’s a long stretch!
Many thanks!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kwalsh Posted - 09/20/2019 : 20:11:06
Many thanks Ray, Scott & Bruce! Fantastic diagram, Scott!
We use the spare halyard as a topping lift just to keep it secured and out of the way. Using that halyard and an extra line never came into mind. I think it may be the simplest way to go and still offers the spare in an urgent situation. It’s right in front of us and we didn’t see it. This is the genius of the Forum.
Many thanks and good sailing!
Voyager Posted - 09/19/2019 : 06:38:12
I like Islander’s idea but my flag halyard has one less component. No spare halyard from the mast top.
Instead I tied a single small block to the bitter end of some 3/16 braided line, then I tied an icicle hitch to the backstay using the other end. The line may be 18-24” long before tying.
An icicle hitch is similar to a rolling hitch, but is a little more complicated. The advantage is that once tied to the backstay, I can
push it up along the backstay with my boat pole. So I tie another 3/16” or 1/4” halyard to the block and put another block on the transom, push the top block with hitch up the backstay with my boat pole, then snug the hitch with a quick tug.
It does not slide back down, true to the knot’s name. I can easily push the top block up about 20 ft.
The flag is attached to the halyard instead of the backstay. Works great.
See: animated knots icicle hitch for how to tie it.
https://youtu.be/stSVqdQFtfs
islander Posted - 09/16/2019 : 13:50:04
If you have a spare halyard you could attach it to the top grommet of the flag then attach another line to the bottom grommet that will be tied off at the transom. You then put a Zip tie through each grommet and around the backstay forming a loose loop. The loops will keep the flag attached close to the backstay and the flag can be raised and lowered anywhere you want to position it by raising the haylard to the desired position then tying off the bottom line. Here is a crude drawing of what I mean.
islander Posted - 09/16/2019 : 10:52:50
quote:
large size spring clips

I would never put those spring type clips on any of your stays. They could cause damage to the stay when they rotate as the flag moves cutting into the stay. I'm guessing these are what you mean.
redeye Posted - 09/16/2019 : 06:22:24
I might:

Using the topping lift and main sheet to secure the mast, remove the backstay and bring it to the mast.
go up a ladder

I have used an adjustable ladder and put the top under the midstays and tied the ladder to the mast, and had someone stand on the bottom of the ladder as I ascend.

and secure a block to the backstay with an icicle hitch. Wrap the backstay with rigging tape just below the knot to secure it. I would use half the width or about 1/2 width whichever is less to wrap the tape. You don't want water to stay under the tape.

run your flag halyard through the block.

Resecure backstay and add block at the bottom, using a waggoner's hitch to be able to tighten/loosen it.

Anyhoo... this is one idea.

Another might be an additional backstay ( sort of ) with a stock topping lift added to the masthead running to the stern, using the existing block on the topping lift.

What does everyone think? Other ways to do this?

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page