Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Dodger & Bimini

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DrDanJ Posted - 09/12/2019 : 16:48:08
1. Why doesn't the 250 have something approaching a regular dodger, not just that little thing that looks like it belongs on a toy boat (don't mean to insult anyone)? CatalinaDirect has the frame for that thing but not the cover for it. Is there some reason why that narrow thing is the RIGHT cover for the hatch, and NOT to make a wider dodger? If so, is it still on the market somewhere?

2. CD has biminis for the 250, lowest price is $845.93. Other places, like Overton's has them for prices like $408, with Sunbrella fabric and stainless frames. Anyone have recommendations for where to buy?

https://www.overtons.com/shademate-sunbrella-stainless-3-bow-bimini-top-6l-x-46h-79-84-wide-309673SS.html

Thanks, Dan
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
frejoh Posted - 10/07/2019 : 11:00:44
Being Southern sailors, a bimini was the best mod we have done for our 250WK. We had good success ordering an off-the-shelf Bimini made by Westland, from I-boats. Cost was much less than a custom bimini. Two things posed challenges. We moved the main sheet attachment to the boom slightly forward, so that the fore edge of the bimini would not interfere with the sheet moving port and starboard. Obviously, a slightly shorter length of Bimini would have avoided this, at the cost of less shade.(I wonder why the designer placed the mainsheet and traveler there; it interferes with the companionway also, and it seems every other Catalina has the sheet on the cabin top forward, or on the stern, like the C-22.)
All we had to do was drill a hole in the boom for attachment with the shackle. The aft end of the boom extends over and past the bimini front edge.
Second, and much more challenging, is passing the split backstay through the bimini fabric. (This allows a longer Bimini and greater shade coverage for the cockpit.)There was an excellent, detailed forum post years ago on how to do this, basically using a plumb bob to mark on the deck spots below where the stays pass through, then back up to the fabric to mark and cut holes. These have to be reinforced to prevent chafing and tearing; we used large metal grommets from sail-rite. They are large enough to pass the shackle ends of the back stays through, but you could also detach the upper end from the 3-way shackle where the stay splits, which is held in place by only clevis and cotter pins, and use smaller openings and grommets.
Of course you have to measure length, width and height carefully when ordering. Shade for the helm is good, since we have tiller steering. We haven't really missed having a window to see the masthead and wind indicator, but I've seen videos from Sailrite on how to do that, if you can get into some sewing.
Stinkpotter Posted - 09/15/2019 : 07:28:46
quote:
Originally posted by DrDanJ

Maybe the position of the traveler is why no real overhanging dodger,...
Yup. The C-25 traveler is on the transom, and the sheet leads to the end of the boom. So the bimini is partially over the companionway but helmsman often is out in the sun.
quote:
I found one image of a C250 that sort of has two biminis, one forward, where the pop top cover goes.
The trick there is to make sure the sheet doesn't contact the bimini with the boom out on a run. Adjusting the traveler fully to leeward should help, but you want to figure that out before you order anything. I suspect a canvas shop custom-built that combo. Note the foward struts (instead of straps) and hand rails on the forward bimini, and the aft struts on the aft bimini--good stuff!
DrDanJ Posted - 09/13/2019 : 12:16:48
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

The biminis I see pictured on CD's site under C-250 are on C-25s, which have end-boom sheeting. I presume on the C-250, with mid-boom sheeting, the sensible place for a bimini would be aft of the mainsheet--I think there are some examples in our Photo Gallery. For the C-250, it shouldn't be hard to find generic biminis of the appropriate size (width, length and height, where height can be adjusted with a hack-saw). Just make sure the frame and anchors are stainless steel--not aluminum and plastic. A bimini can become a grab-handle...

Maybe the position of the traveler is why no real overhanging dodger, I hadn't thought of that. I found one image of a C250 that sort of has two biminis, one forward, where the pop top cover goes.
http://www.mostsailboats.org/1995-catalina-250-wb-2/
Stinkpotter Posted - 09/13/2019 : 07:46:56
The biminis I see pictured on CD's site under C-250 are on C-25s, which have end-boom sheeting. I presume on the C-250, with mid-boom sheeting, the sensible place for a bimini would be aft of the mainsheet--I think there are some examples in our Photo Gallery. For the C-250, it shouldn't be hard to find generic biminis of the appropriate size (width, length and height, where height can be adjusted with a hack-saw). Just make sure the frame and anchors are stainless steel--not aluminum and plastic. A bimini can become a grab-handle...
DrDanJ Posted - 09/13/2019 : 06:56:08
quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

Dan,

When you say "the narrow thing", do you mean the Pop-top cover?
This is the overnight cover not to be used under sail.

Here's the C22 version.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-22/canvas-covers/pop-top-curtain-c-22-95-gtwscreensgarage-sale/

Where do you sail where you need a dodger?
The C250 has a high freeboard and we don't get much spray.

Russ

Russ

Yes, the pop-top cover. So it's just for overnight (or day time for sunshade), that makes sense. I guess if I bought the frame a canvas maker could figure out the dimensions for the canvas. Dodgers, at least on my previous boats, have also been cut far enough back be sunshades when leaning against the bulkhead.

I still wonder if anyone has experience with the quality of biminis from places other than Catalina Direct, or do they just have high prices because of their branding.

Dan
Russ.Johnson Posted - 09/12/2019 : 23:01:09
Dan,

When you say "the narrow thing", do you mean the Pop-top cover?
This is the overnight cover not to be used under sail.

Here's the C22 version.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-22/canvas-covers/pop-top-curtain-c-22-95-gtwscreensgarage-sale/

Where do you sail where you need a dodger?
The C250 has a high freeboard and we don't get much spray.

Russ

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page