Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 New C250 2005 #825 owner - Atica

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Donna-Atica Posted - 09/03/2019 : 23:15:58
Hi Guys & Gals
Super excited to have made my first purchase on a C250 never sailed before so I’m thrilled to be on a big but fun learning curve... when I started looking at the sailboats I was thinking I would live aboard one day to do the passage of time, however I think I got ahead of myself the big 42f ers were so expensive, I looked and looked, had my heart set on a Catalina kept looking between 30-42f took me about 6 - 8 months of trotting around Australia back and forth to Sydney... Over here the market I would say is flat boats tend to hang around a long time unless well priced. I looked at boats in the 30-40f range $50k - $150k borrowing more money put me off especially since I was still busily working and time was a huge factor as I’m not quiet ready to pack my house yet, I finally came to a decision partly because what you get dollar value for a boat just was not weighing up for me, by chance I had been glossing over Catalina’s under 30f never really looked at them but I did keep seeing a few time and time again as I trolled through the boat pages for sale there were 2 x 270 older 1994 and this 250/2005 model. Well I kept going back looking at them on the net after viewing a few at $80k C34MK11 inSydney. I thought on paper/internet this little boat ticks all my big boat lists of what I want on a boat at the present moment (big boats had some things and not others) After returning from Sydney keen on a couple of bigger boats I thought heck I’ll just trot down to Brisbane and check this C250 out .... Well I have to say Wow a whole lot of boat for not big dollars which I was super happy about , actually delighted #128513; So after I pottered around on it I signed my life away and bought it pretty much on the spot! 23k I was more than pleased... BTW that’s a good price in Australia it’s so expensive here for everything. I still did a survey a week later she passed with flying colours
It has a diesel 9.9 in-house steering, Daviits for a dingy, a 3.3hp Merc outboard for the dingy and a little dingy blow up thing that hangs on the Davits
Shower on the transom and I’m putting one in the head
Engel 35l fridge
12v set up
Solar
Tick tack wind , Raymarine depth, Garmin GPS
Rigging 2015
Antifoul 2019
Other bits and pieces Bimini princess seats hood cover etc
Well my first Sail was epic I’ve been doing you tube lessons and I’ll take myself off to the sailing club to do join in with some crew
I’m doing the long range VHF radio course too
I’m just loving this it’s so much fun
Anyway happy to meet you all and sorry for the long winded story #128513;

Donna

Atica

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 10/19/2019 : 06:41:20
Glad to know the Australian CG is a great safety training resource and you’re taking training seriously.
Wow, lunch looks delicious in a beautiful surrounding. Winter’s coming here I’m getting jealous.
TCurran Posted - 10/11/2019 : 20:21:15
great pics...thanks
Donna-Atica Posted - 10/10/2019 : 23:51:10
Donna-Atica Posted - 10/10/2019 : 23:49:37

Donna-Atica Posted - 10/10/2019 : 23:48:19
Donna-Atica Posted - 10/10/2019 : 23:46:58

Donna-Atica Posted - 10/10/2019 : 23:45:08
Donna-Atica Posted - 10/10/2019 : 23:33:32
Hi Bruce
Luckily I know this Mooloolaba bar very well - I have owned a motor boat for a good 10 yrs and use to take her out frequently through that bar - I agree wholeheartedly these bars here shift all the time the sand stilts change often and you must take special care coming in and out however Mooloolaba is one of the safest in Qld and I am very confident knowing it well. I plan to do a trip up north to the great sandy straits and cross the wide bay bar that one is very tricky. I’m going to plan very carefully for that. I have just completed my long range VHF course here in Aus you have to by law in order to use the radio safely (of course if you had a VHF and were in an emergency and you didn’t have your licence you can still use 16 or 67 in an emergency) however I needed it to in order to let the coast guards know my journeys and for bar crossings to ask for assistance if required.
Happy to report still in love with the girl and I have been practicing any spare time I have, Mooloolaba is straight on the coral sea so I’m getting good practice I took her out with a full on NE blowing 15-20 knots scared the crap out of me when the swell and waves were 1-2 meters and I tacked into the wind with the waves hitting me port side she keeled about 35 degrees and I swear I was shaking but I need to keep practicing in these conditions especially if I take her north. The wind this time of year is mostly north east which gives you pretty swelly sloppy conditions. I just love it though I feel like I am getting more confidence with every Sail. There is also a spot here which I love anchoring up dearly it’s called Point Cartwright we sit and have bbqs on the deck and jump into pretty clear water on a good day it’s shallow though so I’m loving my 1.1 draft I’m sure the big power boats think what the heck is she doing but I anchor her up and watch the other big yachts motor past - aahhhh there is some merit in these small yachts I just love this sailing #9973;#65039;
Voyager Posted - 09/11/2019 : 06:20:27
Welcome Donna, seems that you’ve gotten off to a good start with your cruising. The scenery must be fabulous there, and with summer ahead, it’s the best time of year.
You mentioned crossing the bar on your way back into camp for the night. The Australian Coast Guard do safety videos about how and when bar crossings are advised, checking wind and current, as 1-2m breaking waves are common at the wrong times. Waves that could swamp a well found boat such as yours.
Not as common here in the States, we have some notorious “inlets” that produce their own wave conditions such as the Columbia River bar, Haulover Inlet in Miami and a few in New Jersey.
Do you take any particular care in bar crossings in your sailing grounds?
Donna-Atica Posted - 09/10/2019 : 14:17:58
Ha thanks!

Oh that must be an Aussie thang! Nippers are kids 6-14 ish that are part of the Surf Club - the Surf club teaches them to be ocean safe rips tides etc plus they do loads of competitions swimming, surf skis, running up the beach etc. Nippers are on every Sunday starting around our spring through summer to autumn #128516;
Donna-Atica Posted - 09/10/2019 : 14:09:36

Stinkpotter Posted - 09/10/2019 : 08:57:16
Ahh... as in “little nippers.” I was thinking of some sort of shore birds...
islander Posted - 09/10/2019 : 08:46:09
Dave, I think it's a child or children.
Stinkpotter Posted - 09/10/2019 : 08:09:24
quote:
Originally posted by glivs

...And... (after googling it) I now know what a nipper is...

So what did you find? (Google gave me nuthin’.)
glivs Posted - 09/09/2019 : 18:46:41
Fantastic! What a great sea trial for your new (to you) boat. How many of us can claim having sailed in the Coral Sea? And... (after googling it) I now know what a nipper is...
Donna-Atica Posted - 09/09/2019 : 16:05:24

Donna-Atica Posted - 09/09/2019 : 16:03:58

Donna-Atica Posted - 09/09/2019 : 16:02:57

Donna-Atica Posted - 09/09/2019 : 15:09:26
Hi All
Well happy to report we did the passage on Sunday it was crazy on Saturday super gusty so when we woke up Sunday and the wind had dropped to SE 10-15 knots we thought right let’s go! So up at 5am for final set off from Scarborough at 7am .... it was glorious! A couple of scary gusts 25knot came through which shunted the boat sideways and no control over the rudder but as we worked out they were coming we only had that happen a few times. Luckily no swell.
It’s a glorious little passage stuck close to the coast line headed out from Scarborough bay over to the southern tip of Bribie island close enough to see the nippers at woorim beach doing their thing on a brisk Sunday morning.. in retrospect the thing I would do different is get further away from the coast lines I feel like that’s when you cop big gusts from the land.
As you travel north cruising the coastline of Bribie Island you can see the gorgeous glasshouse mountains, in due time your nearly at the southern pumistone passage/ pelican waters which you can now see the buildings of Caloundra the water is a beautiful emerald green blue and the sails a riding on a close reach with this southerly wind pushing us along. It was not long till we went past Moffat beach and you could see point Cartwright ahead that’s when things got hairy we were close but heck the wind picked up to 20-25 knot and a couple of reefs in the mainsail helped but it was not long when we aimed up to point Cartwright bar and crossed pulling down the sails. Made it! 2.45pm and we were entering Mooloolaba now just to find a free camping spot for Atica wind 25-30knots now but it was not long till the sunset came and the wind backed off, cracked some bublbles after anchoring up and making sure she was safe and packed away, sat on the deck enjoying what was a remarkable day what a feat! So exciting and that sunset rewarded us! I’ll attach a few pics

Can’t wait for next weekend!
Stinkpotter Posted - 09/07/2019 : 11:10:09
30-40 kts?? I hope you have a couple of reef points and you're using the 2nd. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, oh my.... This is not the conditions for a novice. Please stay put until things settle down. Things break and people get hurt (or worse)...

Rule #1 of cruising under sail: Do not do it on a rigid schedule! (That also applies to cruising under power.)
glivs Posted - 09/07/2019 : 07:17:31
A night on the boat and your first mod....off to a great start.

Just looked at your intended journey to Mooloolaba (great name)....looks like a beautiful area but 80+km in open waters...plan carefully and have fun, but stay safe...AND keep us posted.

quote:
Man we need to help do our thing to preserve this beautiful native world
...Absolutely, and never stop pushing the msg.
Donna-Atica Posted - 09/07/2019 : 04:39:13
Oh I changed my halyard today it was super easy and looks so much better!happy days
Donna-Atica Posted - 09/07/2019 : 04:33:39
I don’t know the last sentence it was mumbled by my spell check it plain looks weird! It definitely would of been something profound at the end like ... live well stay safe and do what life presents without hesitation .... ( except sailing in 30-40 knots in the Pacific Ocean save that tiill your an amazing sailoress)
Donna-Atica Posted - 09/07/2019 : 04:27:03
Hey guys heck went to Sail from Scarborough to Mooloolaba 25-40 knots stayed on the boat Overnight it was crap no sleep bang bang ting ting x 100 of other boats at the Marina wind shocking but happy to be at the Marina and no roiling just squeezing of fenders - hey this is gooood compared to some I was happy! Just not in the morning when it was full of dust and smoke from bush fire ... so I read today it’s a catastrophic stratospheric Antarctica condition at the moment causing majors westerlies melting our ice ... claiming that the ozone hole is apparently getting smaller however this is the warmest temp recorded in Aus this time of year since 2002- Man we need to help do our thing to preserve this beautiful native world #127758; we have- everything helps even if super tiny it’s all good... so long and short is I’m going to see how tomorrow is ... might get to Sail tomorrow however fam comittments like birthday school parties for my son heck one must do... I’ll get back.... I’m loving these challenging not so challenging times compared to health gold! So until next time love you and leave you fingers crossed I get this boat home too Zielke have so man6 plans that I want done tomorrow lol!
Stinkpotter Posted - 09/05/2019 : 09:07:04
By the way, is she the wing keel or water ballast (centerboard) version. (I'm guessing a wing.) If you add "WK" or "WB" after the "C-250" in your profile signature, it could help with answers to some future questions. You'll see that in other people's signatures.

Wine bottle on the bridge deck... Nice touch!

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page