Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 electric bilge pump

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dasreboot Posted - 08/05/2019 : 09:27:41
I was away form the boat (oskosh airshow) for a few weeks and we had some torrential rains. When i went last wednesday I saw a lot of water on the forward sole by the head. I checked the bilges and they were full! Usually she takes on very little water from the rain, and none from below. I wanted to go sailing, so I started pumping with the manual punp in the cockpit. After 20 min it was only down 4 inches. Well it wasnt rising, so must have been from the rain. I figured that was enough and went sailing.

Now I have an old electric rule pump at home from some past boat I owned. Dont even remember which one. I was , however, not going to pump that handle any more in the july heat. I attached a temporary lead with battery clips, and attached it to the end of the manual bilge pump hose. I figured that the flap valves in the manual pump are oriented in such a way as to allow me to pump through it. It pumped it out quickly, and the manual pump still works. So the good part is that i did not have to run an extra hose. Perhaps some time in the futre i will mount and wire this pump permanently. Never had the need before as EOWYN has alwas been dry. Now I'll have to find how that rain got in.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dasreboot Posted - 08/12/2019 : 05:07:39
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

you can draw chalk lines perpendicular to suspected paths and then after a good rain (or hosing down of the boat) look for places where lines are broken by trickling water.

that's a good idea. I went back and dried out the bilge, and saw weeping in the bottom. I was thinking of talcum powder, but the chalk should work as well.
Stinkpotter Posted - 08/11/2019 : 09:12:04
quote:
Originally posted by JB

Another place to check for water intrusion are the cockpit drains. Some boats have hoses that can leak and other have brass tubes.
...and the brass tubes can leak around the flanges or, as in my case, where the tube has corroded and split. A little smear of sealant can help.

To track down sources of rainwater intrusion, you can draw chalk lines perpendicular to suspected paths and then after a good rain (or hosing down of the boat) look for places where lines are broken by trickling water.
JB Posted - 08/08/2019 : 14:39:46
Another place to check for water intrusion are the cockpit drains. Some boats have hoses that can leak and other have brass tubes.
islander Posted - 08/08/2019 : 07:28:05
I had a leak from the anchor locker. Traced it to the drain tube. I cleaned all around the tube then put a straw in the tube to keep the caulk out of the hole then caulked all around the joint between the tube and fiberglass. Dry now. I also removed the wood panel in the bow and if you reach up in there you can feel the backside of the tube where it comes out of the locker then jumps the gap between the locker and the hull. I lathered that with caulk too.
dasreboot Posted - 08/08/2019 : 05:55:51
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Todd, That much water when you normally stay dry or close to it raises a red flag to me. Find the leak. Bilge pumps don't fix the problem.

yeah, the bilge pump was just temp so i didnt have to hand pump. The leak is from rain, so I'm not in any danger. I'll definately find it soon. will probably start figuring it out this weekend. Im thinking might be the anchor locker.
islander Posted - 08/05/2019 : 14:45:09
Todd, That much water when you normally stay dry or close to it raises a red flag to me. Find the leak. Bilge pumps don't fix the problem.
Steve Milby Posted - 08/05/2019 : 11:41:03
I put an expensive ($200.) bilge pump in my C&C 35 and it needed a filter, never worked very well and the filter frequently clogged and had to be cleaned out.

My friend had an inexpensive Rule bilge pump, probably 15-20 years old, with no filter, and he had the grungiest, greasiest bilge I ever saw, and the Rule pump works perfectly, so I replaced mine with a $40. Rule and couldn't be happier with it.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page