Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Any downsides to using blended oil on the outboard

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vdotmatrix Posted - 07/26/2019 : 06:26:21
They were out of regular marine 10-40w motor oil at west marine and i picked up the blended... will have to change oil out anyway on the new motor..

Any downsides to using a blend?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
islander Posted - 07/26/2019 : 17:22:53
If it's an older engine and you always used conventional oil then stay with that. Some say changing an older engine to synthetic could cause oil leaks due to it's cleaning ability. I don't know how true that is.
GaryB Posted - 07/26/2019 : 16:09:53
You shouldn't use synthetic oil in any engine until it's completely broken-in (unless the owners manual says it's OK). If you use it too early there's a possibility the rings will never seat and you will have higher than normal oil consumption.
glivs Posted - 07/26/2019 : 12:39:26
My Mercury Owners Manual does not recommend the use of synthetic oil...but I don't recall the explanation if any. ??? I'll check when I get a chance.
islander Posted - 07/26/2019 : 06:56:19
No downside but since it uses a quart or less I always use full synthetic. Also it doesn't have to be bought at a marine store. You can buy oil from an auto parts store as long as the oil meets the viscosity and the API numbers required by the engine.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page