Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Sailboat or Lighting Rod?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kim Luckner Posted - 07/21/2019 : 08:01:32
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0JpIAZHx53/?igshid=16g8npqkg7lix
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GaryB Posted - 07/26/2019 : 16:16:41
I once saw a story on the national news about a woman that was struck by lightning while sitting in the stands at a major league baseball game. She was right in the middle of the seats with probably a couple thousand people sitting around her.

You just never know!
Voyager Posted - 07/24/2019 : 20:25:05
It’s amazing how common lightning strikes are and the typical mental image is of golfers who get struck.
While some do, according to the NOAA national weather service the most common activity is fishing.
Anglers account for more lightning strikes than any other leisure activity.
Next is beach-going, then camping, and boating.
Men are 4 times as likely as women to get struck and the most popular day of the week to get struck is Saturday.
Here’s a NOAA fact page. https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning
redeye Posted - 07/24/2019 : 06:49:54
Ive been told, and seen the most common clinical presentation for a lightening strike and electrical shock close to the head, is loss of short term memory. You walk into the room and the patient says, "I feel like hell what happened to me?". You explain they were hit by lightening, or shocked and walk out. The next person that walks in the room and the patient says, "I feel like hell what happened to me?"

They may have been out in an open field wet with rain and the strike blows their clothes off of them. They feel even worse cause they don't know why they were out without any clothes on.

All of the people I've know that were hit were fine, later, except for one guy. Out on the tarmac with the flags for the big airplanes. Burned his shoe soles off. The rubber soles evidently tried to resist conduction.

Anyhoo... looks like the hull of a sailboat is one of the best things to protect you from a strike. Open boat not so much. And that mast looks better to take a strike than me.

I guess the bimini top is looking better all the time.

GaryB Posted - 07/22/2019 : 17:55:19
OT... many people think because a car has rubber tires that they are safer being in a car during a storm because of that. While you are safer in a car during a storm it's because of the metal body, not the tires.

I once read an article about lightning in which the author pointed out that if lightning can travel 5 miles through the sky it will have no issue jumping to the ground across a wet (or dry) rubber tire.
sethp001 Posted - 07/22/2019 : 13:30:17
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Probably a false sense of security but I'm glad my boat is surrounded by larger boats with taller masts.

This ^^^^^

Having a swing keel adds to it (maybe insignificantly) = no direct conductive path from the mast to the water. (And yes! I know lightning is super high power and can arc, etc, etc, etc)
Voyager Posted - 07/21/2019 : 14:48:12
Last week when this viral video showed up in my newsfeed I said, “uh oh, here we go again!” Thinking about the myriad past discussions on lightning and sailboats. All I can say is ¯\_(' ')_/¯
islander Posted - 07/21/2019 : 11:00:58
Probably a false sense of security but I'm glad my boat is surrounded by larger boats with taller masts.
Steve Milby Posted - 07/21/2019 : 09:42:15
Notice the shower of brightly glowing embers that fell onto the deck immediately after the strike.
Stinkpotter Posted - 07/21/2019 : 08:59:50

Gives you an idea of the difficulty "protecting" a boat by grounding, insulating, diffusing, or whatever... The forces involved are almost incomprehensible. In contrast, friends of mine had a strike to the water something like 100 feet from their C-30 on a mooring--it didn't touch their boat directly, but the magnetic impulse fried their electronics. One of the biggest dangers is to people standing in open powerboats.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page