Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Wanted Tiller Tamer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zeil Posted - 05/12/2019 : 08:43:11

Would like to buy this type of tiller tamer (image compliments of Practical Boat Owner)

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GaryB Posted - 05/15/2019 : 17:00:03
quote:
Originally posted by zeil

Scott that's exactly the TillerLock I had on my other boat. It would be wonderful to get another one.

Perhaps someone of this forum is not using the TillerLock and is willing to sell it to us

Defender Tiller Lock Option?
Derek Crawford Posted - 05/15/2019 : 08:19:35
Scott, my tiller cover was just wide enough to go over the tiller.It wouldn't fit over any accessories,
Voyager Posted - 05/14/2019 : 21:47:34
That’s why the small amount of play in my home made approach, or Dave’s bungee approach, works so well - negative feedback. If the tiller is locked rigidly in place then it’s absolutely sure to be wrong by a small amount and very shortly the error builds up and you’ll be off course. With some wiggle, the boat will start to turn but the negative feedback will compensate and bring the boat back on course - then overshoot, which adds more negative feedback the other way and rights the course, hence averaging out the variations. It’s a little magic and it doesn’t always work, but if you get just the right touch, it’ll keep you on course for a minute or two, sometimes longer.
jmadd Posted - 05/14/2019 : 14:26:04
You guys are fortunate that kind of static tiller control works for you. I have a way to lock my tiller in place, but it is largely useless on a Capri 25. The boat is so light any small wave will knock you off course and require immediate adjustment.
zeil Posted - 05/14/2019 : 14:04:26

Scott that's exactly the TillerLock I had on my other boat. It would be wonderful to get another one.

Perhaps someone of this forum is not using the TillerLock and is willing to sell it to us

islander Posted - 05/13/2019 : 11:05:45
quote:
and you can still use a tiller cover without the hassle of having to dismantle/re-install a piece of equipment.

Not sure what you mean. I have a tiller tamer and just like the bungee cord I just disconnect the two lines from a pair of clam cleats then wrap the two lines around the tiller and slide the cover on over the lines, tamer and tiller. What I do like about the tamer is that you can set the drag once just enough to hold the tiller in what ever position you want then let go. No need to loosen,tighten,slide or twist anything for the rest of the day.
Derek Crawford Posted - 05/13/2019 : 06:44:34
I'm with Dave on this one. A 6' bungee cord is the way to go - inexpensive, easy to set and remove, works well - and you can still use a tiller cover without the hassle of having to dismantle/re-install a piece of equipment.
islander Posted - 05/13/2019 : 06:42:16
Henk, That was called the TillerLock and was made in Canada. Did a search for it and found out it is no longer made. Here is a better photo.

A similar substitute that might work for you is the TillerClutch seen here.http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/
bigelowp Posted - 05/12/2019 : 17:36:55
Henk -- FWIW -- for simple, something like what Dave described would be the way to go. For reliable, a true tiller autopilot is the way to go. May cost a little more, but needs less (not none) supervision.
Voyager Posted - 05/12/2019 : 15:49:35
Henk, the type I created is shown here in this thread. I included some photos.
http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31290
zeil Posted - 05/12/2019 : 10:43:03

Yes... I'd like to see the photo's. What I liked about the one shown in the photo is the instant release enabling to control the boat manually

On our boats even by shifting position a course adjustment is required. This tiller tamer needs frequent adjustments and is only good for short periods but it steadies as she goes.
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/12/2019 : 10:39:39
My approach, which I first saw years ago on Trailersailor.com and used on two boats, was very simple and functional as tamers go... It was shock cord with a loop on each end that went on the stern cleats, and then the cord was wrapped around the tiller 3-4 times. To disengage it, I gripped and slid the wraps aft on the handle, slackening the cord. To engage, slide them forward. To make a slight adjustment, grip the wraps and turn them one way or the other. To make a course change (including tacking), push or pull the tiller, stretching the cord, then release to hold course again (probably requiring adjustment to the new point of sail). Total cost: ~$15.
Voyager Posted - 05/12/2019 : 10:14:49
Hi Henk, I can almost tell what the picture is of.
Seems like a stainless steel gizmo that is screwed onto the tiller handle about 1/2-way down that has a brake (the black knob and SS shaft) and holds the tiller stationary.
Can’t tell whether the line is stretchless (like halyard line) or stretchy like bungee line.
I ask because my home-made tiller tamer has some give to it (maybe +/- 4°) that allows the tiller to auto-correct my direction somewhat based on weather-helm variations.
A solid brake with no slack will not auto-correct and will give you no more than 15-20 seconds before you’re off course.
My approach is not an auto pilot but the feedback loop will keep me on course for 1-2 minutes if I set it right. And it costs about $10 for parts.
I’ve posted my photos in the past and can do so again if interested.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page