Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Why not use 5200?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Voyager Posted - 04/28/2019 : 10:19:32
This is more than a philosophical question, it’s got consequences. I have (mis)used this stuff occasionally and have paid the price.
In this episode of Boatworks Today is a testament as to “why not?”
Break out the sledgehammers and the crowbars!
Oops! Gave it away
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/16/2019 : 06:08:36
Oh. I see you edited the statement that you "got some 5200..." Anyway, back to the small tubes by the register--they need to be kept in the manager's office!
Voyager Posted - 05/16/2019 : 04:00:15
I had part of a 4 oz tube left from another project so I figured before it dried up on its own I’d use it for something worthwhile. I figured “what could it hurt?”
Stinkpotter Posted - 05/15/2019 : 18:19:16
Bruce! You bought 5200 for that?? Its persistent flexibility along with tenacious adhesion is what distinguishes it from epoxy, glue, etc. 5200 is not epoxy or glue. Each has its purposes.
Voyager Posted - 05/15/2019 : 17:41:59
I have an ancient boat brush that hooks up to the hose. Where the handle screws into the brush there’s a threaded hole. That part snapped some time ago and I repaired it somewhat then but it always broke apart.
I had some 5200 leftover in a small tube, so I put some all over the joint. I found that the material only semi-hardened. Now the brush is still quite useless but it has a big glob of 5200 on it.
Stinkpotter Posted - 04/28/2019 : 10:57:29
Eastern Boats, builders of my current vessel, apparently used 5200 to bed the teak hand-rails on the cabin-top and hard-top. To refinish them, using every method I could think of, by the time I got them off, I had removed some patches of gelcoat as well. (Good thing nobody was recording it.)

At the local West Marine, I noticed some "convenient" little blister-packed tubes of 5200 by the checkout registers, and told the manager I believed they should be available by prescription only--not over the counter! ...and with warnings to use only as a permanent structural adhesive sealant (for example between a keel and a hull)!

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page