Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Battery issues

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dalelargent Posted - 04/04/2019 : 14:42:26
Hi all,

My daughter owns an old C27 in Oakland. She was on board at the dock yesterday and heard a "pop" and then smelled some smoke. It was from the battery compartment, and she discovered the battery had blown off one of the caps and a bit of smoke rolled out of the compartment upon opening. She immediately unplugged the charger. (I am so glad she did so!)

I asked her to inspect the water in the battery and she reports that it seemed low (but not dry) and the water was a rusty orange color.

The charger is one week old. I installed it a week ago (while I was visiting) after the original one seemed to have failed charging.

Do you suppose the charger over-charged for some reason? Do you think the battery fluid levels were low? The battery is old..should we just get a new one? What should we do next? I am a bit scared having her just plug the charger back in...

Neither of us is that experienced with battery maintenance (my batteries are AGM and are maintenance free).

Dale
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dalelargent Posted - 04/19/2019 : 09:50:47
Thanks for all of the guidance everyone! I, too, prefer AGM’s and have them on Molly Jim, but my daughter’s boat has the wet style battery. She is taking advantage of a WM battery sale and installing a new one.
JB Posted - 04/15/2019 : 05:10:14
All I have is my personal anecdotal experience. I like AGM batteries in my boat because they can't spill and have a low self discharge. They cost about twice as much per amp hour as flooded cell. The boat has a primitive two battery charger that was designed for flooded cell batteries. I'm on nine years with the same set of batteries unknown number of charge discharge cycles. I would be surprised at this point to learn that AGM batteries needed a different type of charging profile.
islander Posted - 04/14/2019 : 04:36:00
Fried the battery's, Wow. Something to be said about using the tried and true flooded batteries that I use. They are very forgiving to over/under charging. I just looked at my Deka battery yesterday. I bought it in May 2011 and it still has 13.73 volts on the meter. Not bad for going on 8yrs.
Stinkpotter Posted - 04/13/2019 : 19:25:45
Yes, so that statement (that I quoted) is screwed up. But my new boat (in 2007) was delivered with AGM batteries that the new Honda 225 outboard, with a standard charging system, promptly FRIED. Rather than figure out the "new world", I installed standard sealed, flooded batteries and all was well. Lesson: Pay attention to the differences! (A 9.9hp can overcharge a battery as easily as a 225.)
islander Posted - 04/13/2019 : 13:15:49
Many people think they are the same but in reality they are two different technology's that are better explained here. https://northeastbattery.com/agm-vs-gel-technology/
They just don't want you to assume that if you have a gel battery it's the same as an AGM.
Stinkpotter Posted - 04/13/2019 : 10:58:27
quote:
Originally posted by islander

NOTE: AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries are not Gel (Gelled Electrolyte Lead-acid) batteries and require a completely different charge profile that must be selected versus the out of the box factory setting. AGM batteries can accept the same charging profile as Flooded (lead-acid) batteries
Does anyone else have trouble following that statement??
islander Posted - 04/13/2019 : 07:19:39
As Russ pointed out there is no switch to flip for different types of batteries. To change the setting you change colored caps that came in the box. It comes with the Black cap installed as the default for standard Flooded (lead-acid) / AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat)

From the manual
Selecting a Charging Profile & Understanding Battery Types
Your battery charger is equipped with a user programmable battery type selector that is factory
set for standard Flooded (lead-acid) / AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries.
To set your charger for Gel batteries simply remove the black programming cap and replace
it with the Gel programming gray cap. If you own a ProSport 20 Dual Bank Charger you also
have the option to use the High Performance AGM profile recommended for OPTIMA BlueTop
Deep Cycle and Odyssey AGM marine batteries by installing the blue AGM HP programming
cap. Any time you reprogram or change the cap, apply marine silicone to the threads of the
cap being installed.
NOTE: AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries are not Gel (Gelled Electrolyte Lead-acid) batteries and
require a completely different charge profile that must be selected versus the out of the box factory
setting. AGM batteries can accept the same charging profile as Flooded (lead-acid) batteries

Russ.Johnson Posted - 04/12/2019 : 22:58:37
Dale,

I have the same battery charger and I still have the instructions.
Next to the AC power cable there is a removable selector cap.
There are three caps and they use a slotted screwdriver.

The Black one is installed the other two were in the box.
Black cap (14.6 DC) Standard Flooded and AGM battery.
Red cap (14.7 DC) AGM High Performance battery.
Gray cap (14.1 DC) Gel Cell battery.

There is no mention of a fuse, so I don’t think there is one.

Russ

islander Posted - 04/12/2019 : 17:06:32
With a new charger and a new battery you should be fine. The only recommendation would be a deep cycle battery.
PS. I just read the instructions for the Pro Sport Hd 6 and it's default setting is for a standard flooded or an AGM battery so no need to set the type of battery as long as your going to use one of those types of batteries.
dalelargent Posted - 04/12/2019 : 15:52:02
Hi all,

Thanks for the input. I do believe we will simply replace the battery. It is old anyway, as mentioned earlier.

FWIW, the charger we installed is a ProSport 6 Heavy-Duty Marine Battery Charger from WM. I don't believe there were buttons to select different battery types on the charger. I had hoped it identified that automatically. (Ignorance!?!)

And, Scott, it is possible you are correct. We may have wasted a good charger. However, I will add the indicator lights on the unit no longer illuminated. And there was not an obvious external fuse to check.

Any additional thoughts before I recommend she purchases a new battery in a few days?
islander Posted - 04/05/2019 : 17:09:31
Thinking about this and it's a possibility that you replaced a perfectly good charger. If the battery went bad the charger couldn't possibly charge it up. This made you think the charger wasn't working. You replaced the charger and hooked it up to the bad battery. Over the week the bad battery was cooking and eventually blew the cap off.
glivs Posted - 04/04/2019 : 18:44:54
Don't risk a potential accident or the '89 WK/TR C27. Replace the battery, verify the settings on the charger as was suggested, and you should be good to go for the next 5-6 yrs.
islander Posted - 04/04/2019 : 17:28:10
Keep in mind that a 12 volt battery has 6 cells at 2 volt each. If one of the cells went bad the battery would be 10 volts. The charger will read this as an undercharge and will constantly try to charge the battery back up to 12 volts at full amps. Something it can never achieve so eventually the battery will overheat and boil off water untill boom. Most likely this is what happened and you just need a new battery but there is a chance you have a defective charger.
Russ.Johnson Posted - 04/04/2019 : 16:43:17
Dale,

If it were me, I would remove the battery and have it checked out.
Check the acid is still strong.
Check water level. Tap water or bottled water has minerals which cause build-up.
Use distilled water. It's about $2 per gallon and found in most retail or hardware stores.
If you don't feel comfortable, West Marine, etc could check it out, or just get another one.

Russ
islander Posted - 04/04/2019 : 16:04:31
You don't say what kind of charger you just installed. Is it a smart charger? Many smart chargers can be set to do different kinds of charging from trickle, fast, smart etc. You definitely want it set on smart charge or you will overcharge the battery boiling off the water Which would account for the low water. Yes it could have been a bad cell but since you just installed the charger I would be inclined to think something wasn't set right. Buy a new battery and try to discharge it some. Hook up the charger and turn it on then with a voltmeter check the amps going into the battery. A few hours later check the amps again. It should be a lower reading. A few hours later the amps will be even lower. If this is what happens then the charger is working properly and the problem was the battery.
Steve Milby Posted - 04/04/2019 : 15:31:28
Lead-aid batteries produce hydrogen gas, especially when you crank the starter and when you charge them. The plates in an old battery can become warped and spark between them, and when the spark ignites hydrogen gas, the battery explodes. Old batteries are especially susceptible to it and low water in the cells makes it more likely. It also happens more frequently in a warm environment.

From your description, the old battery with low water was probably the cause. It's possible, of course, that the charger is defective, but the percentages suggest it's the battery.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page