Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Is a 170% jib used on C25?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gary Stansell Posted - 03/28/2019 : 19:34:57
I bought a 1978 C25. The boat came with a 100% 170% jib sails. Have anyone used a 170% jib on a Catalina 25 ?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Peregrine Posted - 04/06/2019 : 18:42:28
quote:
Originally posted by islander

So what would you suggest for the later models where the T track ends at the deck drain?

Luckily I have T-track to the stern but...
Small blocks attached in some way to the aft cleats.
(added after some thought)
It could be as simple as 3/16" line with a "bear" knot. There is very little pressure on the blocks and if there is it's because you didn't douse the sail.
islander Posted - 04/06/2019 : 18:23:08
So what would you suggest for the later models where the T track ends at the deck drain?
Peregrine Posted - 04/06/2019 : 17:26:59
quote:
Originally posted by Leon Sisson

I have a 165% hank-on nylon drifter with long light sheets for my standard rig swing keel Catalina 25 to use in very light air. It's beautiful sail, and a lot of fun. Also a 180* blind spot.

As others have already said, doesn't take much wind to overpower it, and it's a handfull to tack and dowse single-handed. Another consideration is where to lead the sheets. I think my lead blocks ended up aft of the primary winches, similar to a spinnaker. Any larger, and I'd run out of boat to sheet it to.

I posted above that I have a drifter that fly's free, easy to dump when the wind pipes up, and is much bigger than 165%. Yep huge blind spot.
I bought sliders for the T-Track and put small blocks on them for the 1/4" sheets. They stay way aft and I can bring the sheets forward from them to the cleats.
Leon Sisson Posted - 04/06/2019 : 15:03:11
I have a 165% hank-on nylon drifter with long light sheets for my standard rig swing keel Catalina 25 to use in very light air. It's beautiful sail, and a lot of fun. Also a 180* blind spot.

As others have already said, doesn't take much wind to overpower it, and it's a handfull to tack and dowse single-handed. Another consideration is where to lead the sheets. I think my lead blocks ended up aft of the primary winches, similar to a spinnaker. Any larger, and I'd run out of boat to sheet it to.
redeye Posted - 03/31/2019 : 17:24:25
Apparently a light 170 ( or so ) is common around here ( I'm on Lanier ). An inland Lake. Like Peregrine said I think they are commonly called Drifters. I bought one used which has a wire luff
so its easy to raise while leaving the other jib tied on deck.

I just bought new sails ( within the last two years ) from a local sailmaker ( the Sail Loft ) although he didn't actually make them. Schurr Sails out of Pepsi Cola ( pensacola, fla. ) Mark Adams at the Sail Loft was very helpful in advising me on the options, measuring my boat. He is my go to on sail repair so I try to support his business if I can.

Anyhoo... I got a new 110 and 150 I think with I think dacron 60 weight.. So what you might call offshore weight sails. I sail a lot on the storm fronts that come through so we have Lots of Gusty days.

So... Mark at the Sail Loft made it clear to me he recommended I buy something like a 170 in very light cloth with his strict instructions that I never fly it in wind greater than 15 or It will just blow it out. He wanted to make sure I was clear I had to be disciplined about it ( so that pretty much killed it for me )

He went on and on about how much he loved his, back when he had one particular boat.

I've enjoyed my drifter a lot although it can be a handful if the wind kicks up and one time I tried to set it singehanded and it got away almost under the boat, THAT was a memory.

So anyhoo yeah it's a Great Sail... for those summer days so you can get away when it looks like this

Gary Stansell Posted - 03/29/2019 : 12:53:12
Thanks for the reply’s . I’m just sailing on lake Hartwell, a man make large lake reservoir. I’ll try the sail this summer when the winds go light.
Peregrine Posted - 03/29/2019 : 12:07:53
Haven't seen or heard of 170 but I have a "drifter". Made of spinnaker cloth and flown "free" (no hanks) I hoist it with my spin halyard so I can dump it into the cabin and get back to the 150 furler headsail when the wind pipes up.
HerdOfTurtles Posted - 03/29/2019 : 10:24:40
No, but I would love to have a 170 (can't justify the cost). We get a lot of light air on lake pontchartrain.
Steve Milby Posted - 03/29/2019 : 09:04:37
I haven't flown a 170 on a C25, but I have flown a 180 on a Pearson Triton, which is a very different boat, but might provide some food for thought.

A big sail like that is especially useful in light air (about 3-7 kts). It's particularly good for a beat or a reach. It generates more boat speed than a 150, and the boat speed helps it point. It's main drawbacks are that it's difficult to tack, because it snags on the shrouds, and its wind speed range is narrow. That means that, if the sail is flying and the wind pipes up, you have to change to a smaller jib in order to avoid damaging the sail or overpowering the boat. For those reasons, you probably will only be able to use it in the summer doldrums. The best way to avoid snagging on the shrouds when you tack the boat is to send crew to the foredeck to walk the sail around the rigging when you tack.

Because a big sail is expensive, I probably wouldn't buy one, but if I already had one, I'd enjoy using it when the wind was right for it.

I should add one thing. You have to know how to sail in light air to use a 170. It only helps if you can keep it full and drawing. If it collapses and hangs like a sheet on a clothesline, it won't drive the boat. The most important technique for light air sailing is to move crew weight to leeward, to make the boat heel to leeward.
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/29/2019 : 08:13:21
Welcome Gary! Before we give opinions based on our experiences, what are your intended uses and venues for your new boat? A 170 is a big headsail for casual sailing in many conditions, and a 100 is smaller than most folks run except in heavy weather. I won't speak to the 170--we had a 130 on a roller-furler, it was great for our purposes (non-racing) and venue (Long Island Sound), relatively easy to tack, and it could be reefed down to a fairly efficient 100% on the roller. What we especially liked was relaxed evening sailing on the roller-genny alone--"Pull one string and you're sailing; pull another and you're all done."

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page