Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Spinnaker Advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Digger Posted - 03/15/2019 : 07:52:47
I recently acquired a spinnaker and while the boat is out of the water for some other repairs, am now trying to figure the best way to rig the ‘chute. I purchased the spinnaker crane from Catalina Direct, Part#: Z2686 https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2092/spinnaker-crane-c-25-std-rig-c-250-c-27-c-28.htm?SearchResults=1 and it is now on the masthead. I am wondering about the spinnaker halyard interfering with the headsail if I run the halyard straight to the base of the mast. Should I run the halyard to the base of the forestay instead?

Also, should the spinnaker topping lift block be located about the same height as the spreaders?

I do appreciate this group and have learned many very helpful things, many of which I have failed to express thanks for. Anyway, the deck has remained above the water, and the hull remains down thanks to all of you!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Davy J Posted - 03/15/2019 : 16:21:22
Photo of the masthead crane with halyard lead to base of mast:

Davy J Posted - 03/15/2019 : 16:13:53
This is how I tied up the spinnaker halyard when not in use, both ends tied to the bow pulpit:

When raising the spinnaker, the tail brought to the mast and cleated off when raised.

Steve Milby Posted - 03/15/2019 : 14:27:50
I see no reason why locating it at the spreader wouldn't work. The block is usually somewhere between the spreaders and the masthead. Within that range, I don't think the exact location is especially critical.
Digger Posted - 03/15/2019 : 14:19:46
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

quote:
Originally posted by Digger

I am wondering about the spinnaker halyard interfering with the headsail if I run the halyard straight to the base of the mast. Should I run the halyard to the base of the forestay instead?
I'm not sure what you're asking. On my Cal 25, I store my spinnaker shackle on the mast pad eye unless I plan to fly the spinnaker. When I plan to fly it, I attach the spin halyard shackle to one side of the bow pulpit, and then clip it to the spinnaker head just before hoisting it. If you attach the spin halyard to the chainplate at the base of the forestay when beating to windward, it will definitely interfere with the tacking of the jib. If it's attached to one side of the pulpit, the jib can tack back and forth inside it without touching it.

quote:
Also, should the spinnaker topping lift block be located about the same height as the spreaders?
On my C&C 35 I use a spare jib halyard from the masthead for the spinnaker pole topping lift. The spinnaker crane puts the spin halyard forward of the topping lift by an inch or two, so they don't interfere with each other.

It runs in my mind that the spin pole topping lift block on my Cal 25 is located about a foot or two above the spreaders, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Both my boats have masthead rigs like the Catalina 25.

Thanks. I had been thinking of using the jib halyard as the spin halyard since I have a roller furling headsail. If I do that I will need pad eye somewhere on the mast for the topping lift. The Parts catalog illustration shows it at the spreader.
Digger Posted - 03/15/2019 : 14:10:50
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:

...Anyway, the deck has remained above the water, and the hull remains down thanks to all of you!
Hah! Reminds me of the name of Derek Crawford's "late" C-25: ^This Side Up^ (I've got nothing for you on the spinaker.)

Derek was kind enough and patient to go sailing with my brother and me one windless afternoon. Mostly we sat in heat, but it was delightful to hear his stories and glean some good advice. He went from "This Side Up" to a Cat 22 named "Downsized." He certainly knows sailing.
Steve Milby Posted - 03/15/2019 : 14:04:44
quote:

I am wondering about the spinnaker halyard interfering with the headsail if I run the halyard straight to the base of the mast. Should I run the halyard to the base of the forestay instead?
I'm not sure what you're asking. On my Cal 25, I store my spinnaker shackle on the mast pad eye unless I plan to fly the spinnaker. When I plan to fly it, I attach the spin halyard shackle to one side of the bow pulpit, and then clip it to the spinnaker head just before hoisting it. If you attach the spin halyard to the chainplate at the base of the forestay when beating to windward, it will definitely interfere with the tacking of the jib. If it's attached to one side of the pulpit, the jib can tack back and forth inside it without touching it.

quote:
On my C&C 35 I use a spare jib halyard from the masthead for the spinnaker pole topping lift. The spinnaker crane puts the spin halyard forward of the topping lift by an inch or two, so they don't interfere with each other.

It runs in my mind that the spin pole topping lift block on my Cal 25 is located about a foot or two above the spreaders, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Both my boats have masthead rigs like the Catalina 25.
Stinkpotter Posted - 03/15/2019 : 12:59:13
quote:

...Anyway, the deck has remained above the water, and the hull remains down thanks to all of you!
Hah! Reminds me of the name of Derek Crawford's "late" C-25: ^This Side Up^ (I've got nothing for you on the spinaker.)

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page