Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Boat Bros. Repairing and refitting a derelict

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Voyager Posted - 03/03/2019 : 18:17:03
I’ve been watching a YouTube series on two brothers who got a deal on a classic 70s era Choy Lee boat (I think). The boat whose home port was Noank (CT) — not far from Mystic — has a plastic hull however most of the topsides, decking and cabin consists of very old teak.

I started mid-series so I decided to wait for a snowstorm to binge watch most of their 12-15 minute episodes. They’re not the most explain-y videos but if you’ve been around boats for awhile, you can tell what they’re doing.

In episode 3 they tow their new boat for a haul-out and you can see just what they’re in for. See that here : https://youtu.be/bnSpUciucmM

Take a few minutes to review episode 1 and then take it from there. It’s remarkable how well they do as they go along. They seem to have some experience working on old boats.

I think part of the appeal is that it’s compelling to watch somebody who’s worse off than you. I hope you find this series worth the watch.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 03/11/2019 : 20:00:17
Hey Gary, before you make the haul down to Galveston, note that somewhere along the line, the Boat Bros bought a used trailer, then rebuilt it to accommodate their boat. They rented a heavy duty truck and towed the boat back to their home base which looked to be somewhere way inland and maybe 2-hours’ drive from the marina.
Since then, the boat has been under serious construction at their property inside the barn and workshed. They have not published their location. Unless you’re a local you’d probably not be able to identify the locale nor their property location.
GaryB Posted - 03/10/2019 : 12:47:11
Turns out this boat is just down the road about 50 miles from me. Looks like it's being repaired at Pier 77 in Galveston, TX. I may try to go down there this week and get some pictures if they will let me onsite.
bigelowp Posted - 03/07/2019 : 13:44:16
About 2 years ago a gentleman was offering his Cheoy Lee knock off (I forget the Hong Kong yard, but they build several different models of imitation Cheoy Lee's) for sale on Craigslist. In the ad it said the boat needed deck work. This may be that boat. He had kept the boat in, I believe Old Saybrook. As beautiful as teak decks can be, they represent a lot of work, especially when theyage.
Steve Milby Posted - 03/07/2019 : 12:00:31
He's not doing anything half-axxed. He does everything the way it should be done, even if nobody will ever see it. It looks like it will be a better, sturdier boat than when it left the factory. You don't see that degree of craftsmanship very often.
Voyager Posted - 03/07/2019 : 11:28:17
The kicker was that underneath the teak was more wood! Not fiberglass, so he had to painstakingly pull out, drill out or pry out 100s of tiny brass screws one at a time firmly lodged in the substrate. Must have taken a week and about 7 six packs of the local brewsky.
dasreboot Posted - 03/07/2019 : 06:20:49
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

he stripped off the teak decking, removed maybe a thousand screws, filled the screw holes, repaired the rotted coring,

they dont call 'em leaky teakys for nothing
Steve Milby Posted - 03/06/2019 : 18:17:27
Well, you got me hooked on the Sail Bros. I started with episode #1 and I'm up to episode #18. The guy is apparently tireless. You should see how he rebuilt the rudder! Most of us would be overwhelmed by the scope of the project. He got a little discouraged that the job seemed endless when he stripped off the teak decking, removed maybe a thousand screws, filled the screw holes, repaired the rotted coring, scraped and sanded off all the pitch on the deck, etc., but he sat down and drank a Texas-brewed ale, and went back at it. The guy is amazing! (I wonder if that Texas ale has magical powers.)
Voyager Posted - 03/06/2019 : 17:40:38
While there are about 45 episodes, the elapsed time appears to be maybe 18 months (?) They mentioned the rudder early on, then put it away. In a later episode, one of the guys said it had been over a year since they fixed it.
They did not appear to spent buku boat bucks on it, but they spent a lot of time : measuring, cutting, repairing, fairing, glassing, painting and finagling. All of that curing and layering takes time. They use a lot of time lapse sequences. It’s truly a labor of love.
Then, right in the middle they go to visit their parents’ Lake Cottage and they buy an 18 foot daysailer for the lake! These guys are incurable!
Well, yeah, but so am I. I have two dinghies and Passage and two kayaks and a 16ft canoe. Birds of a feather I reckon.
dasreboot Posted - 03/04/2019 : 05:52:46
ill have to watch it. i did a resto on a cheoy lee luders 36. should have named it "never again" :) could've spent the same amount of money and been sailing the entire time.
Voyager Posted - 03/03/2019 : 21:52:48
Yes, according to the Boat Bros, the bowsprit was a badly done modification. They summarily removed it. The boat is a Cheoy Lee 27.
Funny, I began watching this series toward the more recent episodes. The boat looked like a pretty standard old boat. The boat eventually will be a sweet one.
Going back to the earliest shows it was shocking how bad she was. It truly was a labor of love.
Steve Milby Posted - 03/03/2019 : 20:14:21
It looks a lot like an old Cheoy Lee, but neither the CL 27, 28 or 30 of that vintage has a bowsprit, but the bowsprit could be an owner's mod. It's good to see quality old boats and cars and houses restored. Even though it often isn't a good investment financially, it's a labor of love, and you end up with a real head-turner when it glides through a marina.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page