Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Sail hauling issue with new halyards

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
exf4gib Posted - 01/28/2019 : 08:30:39
I've recently installed Samson polyester shell/Dyneema core halyards on my C-25. Hauling up both the mainsail and jib seems more difficult than expected when raising sails from the cockpit. Having a crew assist at the mast by "sweating” (?) the halyard resolves the issue. Both main and jib halyards are run aft to the cockpit via turning blocks and deck organizers. The sheaves at the masthead (two for main, two for jib) are new anodized aluminum ones installed a year ago. Main is a new Ullman sail, with four full battens. The jib is a much older, hanked-on style. I plan on using my drone to check the masthead area first but thought others might have some thoughts on this. One observation I've noted is that these halyards, when lightly-pressed, I noticed the core felt "flat". I wonder if there might be some resistance with a "tensioned” flat-core halyard over a conventional sheave.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/24/2019 : 14:36:56
quote:
Originally posted by hewebb

Is it possible the lines are twisted around each other going up the mast. I have four lines in the mast...

The 1985 came with external halyards, and his description of four sheaves at the masthead indicates that hasn't been changed.
hewebb Posted - 02/24/2019 : 06:04:36
Is it possible the lines are twisted around each other going up the mast. I have four lines in the mast and managed to twist one around another one. That produced the same issue until I got it corrected.
dasreboot Posted - 02/19/2019 : 04:51:31
Did you fix this? I am VERY curious to see what the issue actually was!
Frank Law Posted - 02/09/2019 : 10:23:37
Can you take the halyard off the sail and substitute a weight of some kind and then try raising the weight . And pulling the line at the mast ,eliminating the sail and blocks'
Stinkpotter Posted - 01/31/2019 : 15:34:51
On Samson’s site, they say their dyneema cores are plaited (braided), not linear strands like some other cores. Seems like the cross-section should be round and fairly firm, unless yours has the wrong size core or has been de-cored.
exf4gib Posted - 01/31/2019 : 15:14:51
Good point, but this was with nearly dead-calm air, in the slip.
exf4gib Posted - 01/31/2019 : 15:13:24
All good points, but slide groove was cleaned and "Maclubed" beforehand. New Ullman mainsail. But like the vintage standard jib, both sails, when hauled, experienced only intermittent resistance. Only thing in common are the (new) halyards, Samson 11mm double-braid poly w/ Dyneema core. Very "finicky" line, which tends to tangle easily.
Stinkpotter Posted - 01/31/2019 : 14:55:09
And please forgive what is likely a demeaning question, but are you head-to-wind with sheets released as you hoist?
dasreboot Posted - 01/31/2019 : 10:36:18
dirty groove on the mast? sail slides catching on some damage somewhere? I put heavier slides at my batten pockets because of breakage. they catch on my mast gate all the time. do you still have the resistance when pulling the halyard from the mast on a windless day? I dont think the core flattening would do anything like you describe. If it only happens on windy days, then it really sounds like the slides binding up somewhere.
exf4gib Posted - 01/31/2019 : 10:24:36
Thanks Dave. When installing the new halyards, I checked them on the (then) new sheaves. The halyards appeared to fit well onto the sheaves. The resistance I'm experiencing with hauling sails is "intermittant". That is, the resistance isn't consistent, but only about half the time while hauling sails. I'm suspicious of the core material of the halyards, in that they tend to feel somewhat flat instead of round. Have to wonder if that may contribute to this issue. I'm going to take a close look this weekend with my drone to see if I can get a good closeup. Note the halyards run free when not shackled to sails.
Stinkpotter Posted - 01/28/2019 : 16:09:28
The halyard kit I bought from Catalina Direct had 5/16" halyards and masthead sheaves for that diameter. I see their C-25 halyards are still 5/16". If the sheaves are from them, 3/8" might bind in them. Since your problem is with both halyards, I'm suspicious of that kind of mismatch. If sweating at the mast is required, that pretty much narrows it down to the mast-head. It seems somebody reported here that the diameters of their masthead sheaves were not large enough to make the halyards clear the outside edge of the collar of the casting that sits on the top of the mast. CD's sheaves for internal halyards, for example, would probably cause that problem with an external rig. Just a wild-hare thought...
Steve Milby Posted - 01/28/2019 : 09:01:07
If you have to sweat the halyards to raise the sails in moderate winds, something is wrong. Sometimes you have to sweat the halyard or use a winch in stronger winds, to tension them correctly.

What size line are you using for your halyards? 3/8" is usually recommended, because it's more than strong enough, and it runs freely through sheaves and blocks. Oversized line rubs inside blocks, causing friction. If your lines are led aft to the cockpit, look at each turning block. I have one that frequently turns sideways and the line binds. Examine each point where the line turns, including the sheaves at the masthead. Is there any way that the line can slip off the sheave? There should be a plate at the masthead that prevents that from happening. I have heard of boats where that plate was missing, perhaps lost while the mast was down.

You have to trace the line through every turn to find the source of friction or binding, but it should be fairly obvious when you find it.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page