Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Replacing backstay

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
codyc Posted - 02/05/2021 : 12:47:57
I will be replacing my standing rigging this spring. My boat has a split backstay, and I was wondering if I replace the split backstay with the stays from Catalina direct, do I also need to replace the pulleys and hardware that operate the tensioning mechanism, or just the stays?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steve Milby Posted - 03/29/2021 : 20:15:32
A backstay adjuster on a masthead-rigged boat is great if you know how to tune the rig correctly.

It's a common misconception that a backstay adjuster on a masthead-rigged boat helps the boat sail closer to the wind. You can only tension the backstay so much, and, if you tension it beyond that, the boat won't sail any closer to the wind and you could damage the boat structurally. On a C25 it only helps the boat sail in light air and downwind, because it enables you to power up the sails. When you ease the backstay tension, you induce forestay sag, which powers up the jib.

The reason for the misconception is that a backstay adjuster does in fact help a boat with a fractional rig sail closer to the wind, but it works differently with a masthead rig like a C25.

Most sailors are satisfied without a backstay adjuster, and the boat sails well. The only people who really want one are people who really enjoy playing with sail trim adjustments. It's a nice tool to have but you have to learn how to tune a masthead rig with a backstay adjuster, and how to use it.

There's not much reliable information online about using a backstay adjuster on a masthead rig. If there's a video about it, I haven't seen it.
waterbaby Posted - 03/29/2021 : 19:26:33
Thanks for the further information Steve, makes sense.

I just watched a video on using an adjustable backstay.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and what they thought of it.
Steve Milby Posted - 03/29/2021 : 18:07:26
quote:
Originally posted by waterbaby

Is that the normal placement for a single line backstay? We've never had a problem with it but it seems like it should have been a split backstay to get the proper alignment.

That's the normal placement for the backstay. The backstay has to be slightly offset to one side on any sailboat like a C25 that has a transom-hung rudder. Imagine that the backstay was attached to the hull in the exact middle of the transom. You wouldn't be able to swing the tiller past the backstay. The way to avoid that is to either offset a single backstay or to use a split backstay that straddles the tiller.

Offsetting the backstay doesn't affect the performance of the boat at all. The erectness and straightness of the mast is governed by the adjustment of the shrouds. The backstay provides tension to prevent the mast from leaning forward. The fact that it's slightly offset doesn't matter. If your rig is tuned correctly, it will have the exact same shape as a rig with a split backstay.
waterbaby Posted - 03/29/2021 : 17:58:59
Thanks Scott!
islander Posted - 03/29/2021 : 17:51:43
The single backstay is offset and is normal. It would be in the way of the tiller if it was on the centerline of the boat.
waterbaby Posted - 03/29/2021 : 17:39:59
We're thinking of replacing all standing rigging and our backstay is a single line leading about 12-18 inches off the center of the stern with a pigtail attached.

Is that the normal placement for a single line backstay? We've never had a problem with it but it seems like it should have been a split backstay to get the proper alignment.

Just wondering if the PO changed the original config. The pigtail makes me think it was the original backstay but the alignment makes me question it.
Leon Sisson Posted - 02/10/2021 : 10:19:16
Cody,

I would evaluate the condition of the backstay tensioner hardware independently of the stays.

When I replaced my standing rigging, I went with cable from Brion Toss Yacht Riggers and Sta-Lok swageless terminals.  At the time, Brion Toss had some 1x19 SS wire rope with the corrosion resistance of 316 and nearly the strength of 302/304.

While replacing standing rigging, this would also be a good time to consider better turnbuckles if yours are closed body or your cables have swaged threaded terminals.

Stinkpotter Posted - 02/05/2021 : 21:20:46
I took a look at CD's backstays--they have retrofit kits for converting single to split adjustable stays, which include things like an additional chainplate and the adjuster hardware--not what you need. They also offer the top wire, and separately the bridles (lower wires running to the chainplates)--I'm guessing you want both the top and lower wires. You can call them and discuss it.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page