Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Keel resurfacing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JoeRobertJr Posted - 11/01/2020 : 09:32:04
I just completed resurfacing my swing keel, which proved much more challenging than I was expecting. Throughout the process, I documented my steps and took pictures with the intention of adding this to the Technical Tips section, but I am struggling to figure out how to actually add one. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

My notes are currently in this shared Google doc: 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1682bv5Tw8Hn-CCge4oXIwhB_8-TYCR6G7h4tGeUUtI4/edit?usp=sharing
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Volksaholic Posted - 06/26/2023 : 07:57:40
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by Volksaholic

...pulling the keel would be the better way to go, but it's WAY more work than I'm willing to invest in this boat.

The FK is fully exposed for refurbishing--the SK is partially obstructed until it's removed. I applaud you guys for taking these things on (or thinking about it), but you're talking about very large hunks of cast iron, where surface rust will eventually break through almost any coating, especially in salt water, but won't measurably reduce the effectiveness of the keel (unless you're hard-core racing, I guess).

That's reasonable. Mine lived on the Great Salt Lake and then sat on its trailer for several years when the owner got sick. The rust is really BAD. I'll concede that cleaning, filling, and fairing won't be a forever thing but if I take my time I'm hoping it will be the only time I have to do it while I own this boat.
Stinkpotter Posted - 06/25/2023 : 20:42:28
quote:
Originally posted by Volksaholic

...pulling the keel would be the better way to go, but it's WAY more work than I'm willing to invest in this boat.

The FK is fully exposed for refurbishing--the SK is partially obstructed until it's removed. I applaud you guys for taking these things on (or thinking about it), but you're talking about very large hunks of cast iron, where surface rust will eventually break through almost any coating, especially in salt water, but won't measurably reduce the effectiveness of the keel (unless you're hard-core racing, I guess).
Volksaholic Posted - 06/25/2023 : 10:39:48
That is an incredible amount of documentation. I've got similar, but worse, resto I'm trying to attack on my '81 FK with an iron keel... only I'm not going to pull the keel into the shop! Actually, if the boat were worth it I think pulling the keel would be the better way to go, but it's WAY more work than I'm willing to invest in this boat.
pboily Posted - 06/25/2023 : 07:17:39
Amazing. Thank you so much for sharing!
JoeRobertJr Posted - 11/02/2020 : 04:27:42
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Panza

This needs to go in the Association's Tech Tips for future reference by other swing-keel owners.

I agree, and that is my intention. However, I am still not seeing how I actually add a Tech Tip.
AJN77 Posted - 11/01/2020 : 16:16:18
Very informative. As a new owner without a trailer, I've been trying to find the best way to deal with my swing keel, in the hopes of dropping it next winter once I get her around to my side of the state. Lots of great info in here.
Harry Cowgill Posted - 11/01/2020 : 15:36:59
Nice workshop, Joe and nice job on the keel.
Lee Panza Posted - 11/01/2020 : 09:59:34
Very thorough, obviously well researched and planned in advance. And very nicely documented. Thank you, Joe!

This needs to go in the Association's Tech Tips for future reference by other swing-keel owners. The google posting is nice for now, but people have discovered the hard way that when a third-party corporation decides to change their operations a wealth of invaluable information is lost. As long as we can continue to support our Association we can hope that information like this is retained and made available as needed. Of course, as we recently rediscovered, there also has to be an effective back-up mechanism in place.
Buzz Maring Posted - 11/01/2020 : 09:43:12
WOW!! That is the most thorough keel refinishing I've ever seen ... 'GREAT job! 'Made me tired just reading through it all

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page