Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Water between hull and liner

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
yachtsea Posted - 04/01/2020 : 06:39:13
Hi everyone,

Anodyne didn't quite snug up to her bowstop. Once she splashes this year, hopefully, I plan to refit her bunks with a corrugated product I picked up at Gander RV when they were going out of business for 95% off. To that end, I learned that the pitched forward attitude short of the bowstop a foot combined with the decline of our driveway to the street, was enough for water to collect on the sidedeck and effectively drained via fixed head's vent. This filled the (thankfully) empty and relatively clean holding tank and then used the toilet as a relief valve resulting in approximately an inch of water on top of the sole.

A dedicated DeWalt shop vac made short work of that but with the boat trailer's tongue jack going from full down to full up and back down, I could produce water near the holding tank, under the settee (Dinette model) so this compartment has a small rough access hold to the bilge. If I raise the tongue, I can hear water slowly making its way aft, obviously.

So, I rigged a 10' length of garden hose with a seal so the shop vac could reach into the recesses of the bilge, blindly, from about where the volcano for the swing keel cable enters the hull, starboard side of centerline where the corner of the settee housing batteries and freshwater tanks are. I've pulled a couple gallons out over the past day and it's getting more difficult to feel around and find water but I know there is still some in there.

Questions are:
Is this typical? Does Catalina/others ever expect this sealed inaccessible area to be free of water?
Are the ribs at risk?
Bleach seems like a bad idea corrosive (though organic material would likely turn it to water quickly)
Does opening the boat up for hours each day prove useful in terms of drying it out?
Should I try closing the boat and running a dehumidifier?

End novel.

Carl
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yachtsea Posted - 04/01/2020 : 08:45:22
Dave! Good to hear from you!
Thanks, I was waiting for the admiral to help me get my floor dehumidifier unit up the ladder.
Oh and I forgot to mention, aside from pitching the trailer back by raising the jack, I wrapped a worm of butyl tape around the SS vent covering the holes.

Shameless plug for DeWalt and their FlexVolt system, I'm impressed. I used that thing all day yesterday and it just keeps going. It has an AC cord as well but I haven't used it beyond seeing if there was a hp difference, there is not. Also, this was all a Xmas present to myself because I picked up a college-sized microwave after removing the curtain burner and wanted a quiet inverter that didn't cost $1000. It's modified sine so no electronics but the microwave (ok, some electronics) runs fine on the portable power supply at 120v powered by four 20/60v flex packs. I used this winter as well to run a fan so my fireplace could push heat out during an outage.
Stinkpotter Posted - 04/01/2020 : 07:44:21
Good detective work! We're glad your holding tank was fairly clean. I don't know the bilge of the swing keel hull, so can't advise on extracting water, but for general drying out, I'd open up to nature during dry days, and run a dehumidifier at night to both condense moisture and generate some heat, which should help.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page