Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 No sail cover for one week?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
doublereefed Posted - 06/14/2019 : 16:58:15
I won’t get my sail cover back for a week. How bad is it to leave the flaked main out in the sun like that for a week?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
doublereefed Posted - 06/16/2019 : 07:38:09
Thank you for all the info, particularly about Sunbrella. In the end, we just loosely rolled the main up around the battens, then slide it forward out of the bolt rope slot on the boom. (Plus some messing around with the reefing line.) It's down below, ready to be re-installed when the cover arrives.
TakeFive Posted - 06/15/2019 : 04:40:36
Sunbrella loses its water repellancy over time, so it’s a good idea to check it. 303 Fabric Protectant restores it. You can also find others that are less expensive.
Voyager Posted - 06/14/2019 : 22:07:59
My sailcover wasn’t handy for a week in early May so I took my boom tent and wrapped it over the sail. The nice thing about it is the material is Sunbrella fabric so it’s waterproof. A tarp would also work.
My twin goals were (a) prevent sun and dirt exposure and (b) keep it dry. If the sail got wet and was folded over itself, I was concerned that it would get moldy and mildewed underneath.
Water can be very destructive, even with Dacron.
GaryB Posted - 06/14/2019 : 18:42:27
It shouldn't be an issue. If you were on a long cruise it would be exposed anyway.

Also, being as far North as you are the sun won't be near as harsh as it is down here in SE Texas. I've noticed over the years boats of the same vintage but from farther North always seem to have better looking gelcoat and overall look better.

Maybe you could purchase a cheap tarp and wrap it up?

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page