Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Spring sailing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
glivs Posted - 02/21/2019 : 16:52:06
Malletts Bay, Feb 2016. A bit of snow on the ice this year but the DN's are still out there. This was shot by one of the fellows in our mooring field. Just pause when you get burned out.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/27/2019 : 16:04:19
By the way, for anyone who hasn’t heard of the brand “Little Harbor”, this is a company created by the legendary Ted Hood, and a few decades ago bought by Hinckley in Rhode Island. Many or most of the boats were built in Taiwan. Knowing a couple who owned one, they are known among yachtsmen as being among the very finest—in the category with Hinckleys. They are drop-dead gorgeous and top-line design and construction. This incident is unimaginable.

It might be somewhat fortunate that Hamburg Cove, which is off the Connecticut river north of Essex, not far from me, is virtually all fresh water—slightly brackish in long dry spells when the river’s flow is lower. The CT R. is the main flow from about the Canadian border down to the Long Island Sound, and we’ve had a lot of flow this winter. People spend nights at anchor in the cove to kill the barnacles on their hulls, props, etc.—it seems to work. So the damage here might not be as bad as some imagine.
bigelowp Posted - 02/27/2019 : 11:25:14
Great video on the Little Harbor sinking. Heartbreaking to see such a fine vessel mistreated so. I am sure here will be much more that is revealed about the owner and their behavior.
OLarryR Posted - 02/27/2019 : 10:39:11
Thanks for sharing!

Not good ...is an understatement.
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/27/2019 : 07:59:49
Another ice story...

And some background on it.

glivs Posted - 02/27/2019 : 07:09:03
Sad but amusing...our clubs page. Actually the cover photo (I was told) is from Lake Winnipesaukee, NH.

Ice fishing...Not an issue on our bay (Malletts Bay) it's too deep. The fisherman focus on shallow bays for perch, pike, ...

As for the DNs on the lake...there are few areas that have the right conditions, i.e. protected enough so the ice forms smooth, enough fetch for a good run and fair but not crazy winds. And then the less snow the better. I think those guys are always on the hunt for the right spot.

DNs look like fun. Even more edgy are the 20-year old wind- and kite-surfers.

Voyager Posted - 02/26/2019 : 22:29:22
And they say about snowmobiles, that every spring they find one or two “floaters”. Apparently a few of them get lost out on the ice and are found around the end of the season...
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/26/2019 : 19:41:55
Then there are the snowmobiles—they’re like dirt bikes on the golf course, or PWCs in the anchorage.
Voyager Posted - 02/26/2019 : 17:52:15
The Ice Anglers are like hazards in golf. Or maybe speed bumps!
JohnP Posted - 02/26/2019 : 07:17:47
Gerry,

Were there any guys ice fishing while you were sailing? Seemed to be no obstructions of any kind!

Must be quite a thrill, if your equipment keeps you warm.
bigelowp Posted - 02/25/2019 : 18:41:51
Bantam is a great lake, and perfect for ice sailing . . . as long as the skipper is good at dodging the ice fishers!
Voyager Posted - 02/25/2019 : 06:06:43
There’s a fleet locally on Bantam Lake in the town of Morris, Litchfield county Connecticut.
N41.7055° W73.2226
Most years they get a solid freeze on the lake and when conditions are right the call will go out and you’ll see the ice boats flying around the lake. The lake is only 947 acres but has some longer runs from north to south. It’s nothing like Lake Champlain but it’s still fun out there.

islander Posted - 02/23/2019 : 10:58:38
Definitely on the bucket list. No wakes, no chop just speed. I understand that most of those are home made.
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/23/2019 : 09:47:56
Whew... I once did speeds like that on a snowmobile across a frozen lake--it reported about 75 mph for a moment--that was too fast for me! I guess if you crack up for some reason, you just slide for a quarter mile or so...

I think it's so cool the way ice boats going off-the-wind cross a threshhold to where they're making their own apparent wind, thereby sailing "upwind" and exceeding the true wind speed. I'm guessing you can't reach that threshhold speed sailing dead-downwind, but once you do reach it, your apparent wind will keep you above the true wind speed in any direction. Are we bordering on "perpetual motion" here??
glivs Posted - 02/23/2019 : 09:06:51
Dave B -I have no idea on boat speed in this video. I know DNs can reportedly sail up to 10x true wind speed and <10° off the apparent wind. According to Wikipedia, DN's regularly sail 50 mph in 9-10kt winds with recorded speeds over 65mph upwind. The unconfirmed speed record (Wisconsin) is 108mph. Downwind the record is 56mph in 15kt wind....and that while sitting a few inches above the surface...

Davy J - Hope you're enjoying your weekend....
Stinkpotter Posted - 02/22/2019 : 07:51:58
Lovely! Whaddaya guess for speeds and tacking angles?
Davy J Posted - 02/22/2019 : 00:49:03
Looks like fun. Gives new meaning to the saying "smooth sailing".

We are pulling out this morning Friday 2/22, for the weekend. Forecast high 84 degrees, in actual water...........

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page